TV Fanatics | Send Your Year End Lists Now!!

6,672 posts in this topic

Allstar
1 hour ago, Maddox said:
  Hide contents

Like a lot of ppl, my first reaction to the last scene was that they may have drowned which sounds a little bleak, but i doubt tha's the intent. Either way, the ambiguous ending as a metaphor for their relationship overcoming every obstacle works well for me! 

I'm really going to miss the show :heart2: Sweet rom com done right!!

As for PEN15, i feel like if a show can't take off after 3 episodes then it should get dropped, especially in this climate lol. Maybe i'll get back to it someday or maybe not.

I wholeheartedly agree on ODAAT. Lately i've been seeing some twitter users doubling down on Sepinwall's comment saying that this season particularly tries to randomly dump a serious storyline on a character just to pull some woke lesson which is ridiculous... Maybe bc i'm blindly stanning but none of the issues they addressed this season seemed forced to me. Besides, the 'issue of the week' formula has always been part of the show's dna it's weird how it became more annoying this year.

Yes, this part of their marriage and life is dead and over, whatever that may entail, and the next chapter is one for them to travel on their own without us.

It's a truly poetic conclusion, however you choose to read it and I love it all the more for how unexpectedly enigmatic for a show like this was to end on.

Thinking about it, it's sneakily worked itself up to being one of the most complex and raw depictions of a marriage I've seen on TV and I'll always be a little annoyed that it didn't get as much recognition as it should have (and that includes critics, despite its stellar reviews it was immensely underwatched and undercovered by them).

That's fair. I was sold on it after the first episode but I also love that kinda awkward humor, lol. I'd love for you to give it another try because it builds to be really genuine and raw emotionally by the end, but I understand why you wouldn't and why it doesn't work for many.

I just saw the Sepinwall thing you posted and lol:rip: 

I will say I felt the third acts of the first stretch of episodes I deemed clunky felt a little less naturally woven in/developed as they usually do with the show. But it's a hard trick to pull off perfectly this many times and I felt the same way about some season 1 episodes so it's not a problem specific to this season. Besides, not a single of these issues came out left-field but have been part of the character's arcs since the debut of this show, n. 

But anyway, this is how this show is designed so to argue about its contrivancy towards adressing issues is dismissing the show merely for its premise alone. This is how the show does and always has functioned, period, and it kind of makes Sepinwall's previous raves about it seem less credible.

FutureHive

finished Justified yesterday. now i can focus on my true joy in life: Reality TV

The Challenge

Vanderpump Rules

US Temptation Island (2001)

US Paradise Hotel (2003)

US Temptation Island reboot (2019)

Dutch Temptation Island

US Ex On The Beach

Dutch Ex On The Beach

looking forward to Love Island UK, US & Dutch adaptions sometime this year

Staryu
3 hours ago, FutureHive said:

finished Justified yesterday. now i can focus on my true joy in life: Reality TV

The Challenge

Vanderpump Rules

US Temptation Island (2001)

US Paradise Hotel (2003)

US Temptation Island reboot (2019)

Dutch Temptation Island

US Ex On The Beach

Dutch Ex On The Beach

looking forward to Love Island UK, US & Dutch adaptions sometime this year

I'm old and I watched the original Temptation Island when I was like 11, I'd love to watch it again, I remember stanning the red/orange haired girl Mandy but idr why and I don't really remember anything else about the show :deadbanana2:  

FutureHive
4 hours ago, Staryu said:

I'm old and I watched the original Temptation Island when I was like 11, I'd love to watch it again, I remember stanning the red/orange haired girl Mandy but idr why and I don't really remember anything else about the show :deadbanana2:  

im not american so this is my first time watching it. only watched season 1 and it lives up to the hype

here https://www.youtube.com/user/SeanGoslett

Allstar

Why does everyone love Schitt's Creek? Does this suddenly turn great or did the first episode just not work for me? I wanna and am gonna give this a chance but I'm curious to know lol

Maddox
On 2/15/2019 at 8:11 PM, Allstar said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yes, this part of their marriage and life is dead and over, whatever that may entail, and the next chapter is one for them to travel on their own without us.

It's a truly poetic conclusion, however you choose to read it and I love it all the more for how unexpectedly enigmatic for a show like this was to end on.

Thinking about it, it's sneakily worked itself up to being one of the most complex and raw depictions of a marriage I've seen on TV and I'll always be a little annoyed that it didn't get as much recognition as it should have (and that includes critics, despite its stellar reviews it was immensely underwatched and undercovered by them).

I think they'll be all over it once it's out on Amazon since there's no notable competition (maybe Shrill or David Fincher's animated series could count but i doubt it)

The fact that the show stayed true to its premise and managed to get consistent beyond the first season is already a big achievement! I wish i could say the same for You're The Worst which so far still can't seem to figure out how to evolve their characters but still keep the 'worst' aspects abt them. I mean it's still enjoyable to watch but this wedding thing feels played out and not interesting... 

On 2/15/2019 at 8:11 PM, Allstar said:

I just saw the Sepinwall thing you posted and lol:rip: 

I will say I felt the third acts of the first stretch of episodes I deemed clunky felt a little less naturally woven in/developed as they usually do with the show. But it's a hard trick to pull off perfectly this many times and I felt the same way about some season 1 episodes so it's not a problem specific to this season. Besides, not a single of these issues came out left-field but have been part of the character's arcs since the debut of this show, n. 

But anyway, this is how this show is designed so to argue about its contrivancy towards adressing issues is dismissing the show merely for its premise alone. This is how the show does and always has functioned, period, and it kind of makes Sepinwall's previous raves about it seem less credible.

I agree but it's hard to spot thanks to the performances which should be commendable, i also think the show needs to get better guests (the briefly nice new boyfriend of Penelope was just kind of there tbh). And i agree abt Sepinwall; it's true that the mix of drama/comedy elements is a valid concern but i don't see how it could be applied for this season especially.

1 hour ago, Allstar said:

Why does everyone love Schitt's Creek? Does this suddenly turn great or did the first episode just not work for me? I wanna and am gonna give this a chance but I'm curious to know lol

It's bc the show surprisingly managed to get better unlike the usual pattern of former peak tv darlings. I don't consider it essential TV but it's fun/sweet to watch and Catherine O'Hara/Annie Murphy are hilarious as always! 

Maddox

Another example of why that Baffler piece made some points... Difficult People just ended like a year ago ffs :fish2: Also that episode was really mediocre (aside from the mean but fairly accurate Britney joke)

Maddox

Another crazy episode from Corporate!! The HD Maps opening :toofunny3:

zony111

I began watching The Good Wife 2 weeks ago and currently I am in season 5 :jonny:

It might join Downton Abbey and Revenge as my all time fave shows!

Also, I've just found out that Matt Czuchry (Cary Agos) is the lead actor in The Resident with Emily VanCamp (Revenge), actors from my fave 2 shows together in one, i cannot believe it :jonny: I am excited to start with The Resident.

Wicked
16 hours ago, Maddox said:

Another example of why that Baffler piece made some points... Difficult People just ended like a year ago ffs :fish2: Also that episode was really mediocre (aside from the mean but fairly accurate Britney joke)

:rip: 

FutureHive

added Doom Patrol to my watchlist. im a DC fanboy now

Leptine

Is 'Russian Doll' getting better, I watched the pilot and I was suprisingly underwhelmed by it, I was expecting better, I like the actress, but I found kind this pilot of boring, like I'm not really here to watch all the possible variants of the same scene at the party :psyduck:

@Maddox

Maddox
19 minutes ago, Leptine said:

Is 'Russian Doll' getting better, I watched the pilot and I was suprisingly underwhelmed by it, I was expecting better, I like the actress, but I found kind this pilot of boring, like I'm not really here to watch all the possible variants of the same scene at the party :psyduck:

@Maddox

nn a lot of my friends said the same thing lol :skull: Anyway it goes on for like 2-3 eps then there's an interesting turn of events, keep watching!!

Or you know, drop it and catch up with ODAAT :gaycat3:

Leptine
3 minutes ago, Maddox said:

nn a lot of my friends said the same thing lol :skull: Anyway it goes on for like 2-3 eps then there's an interesting turn of events, keep watching!!

Ok.

P.S: Your Instagram profile is very nice :skull:

Maddox
1 minute ago, Leptine said:

Ok.

P.S: Your Instagram profile is very nice :skull:

I know! Very TABS'd :gaycat5: But we need the followers lol

KylieistBoi
9 hours ago, Leptine said:

@Maddox

It is amazing, keep watching. 

Leptine

Can you stand it? @Maddox :fan:

That white Michelle and Miranda show found dead in a ditch :fan:

Leptine
5 minutes ago, KylieistBoi said:

It is amazing, keep watching. 

Ok, I will!

Maddox
1 hour ago, Leptine said:

That white Michelle and Miranda show found dead in a ditch :fan:

Ugh i hate him :rip: he knows his audience too well lol (not me obviously)

Leptine
4 minutes ago, Maddox said:

Ugh i hate him :rip: he knows his audience too well lol (not me obviously)

I need Miss Germ on this at every cost to complete that EGOT :jonny6:

Maddox

At Home With Amy Sedaris premiere was amazing :ahh: Glad it's finally back!