Condolences to our New Zealand & Muslim members affected by the Christchurch mosque shootings Read more... ×

TV Fanatics | Send Your Year End Lists Now!!

6,669 posts in this topic

Wicked

Would swap out: “The West Wing” While I admire its craft and idealism, scorching straw men with stagy oratory does not a defining drama make.

This just... If The West Wing isn't defining than neither is GoT. What it did with the way politics were handled, the dialogue & camerawork is enough to say it's a 'defining' show. Who are these idiots writing for them?

Wicked

Well now they're doing the most. lol.

Maddox
12 hours ago, Wicked said:

Well now they're doing the most. lol.

I get the idea of how pointless it is to write a negative review now that there's too much ~good content to focus on, BUT they need to stop hyping every decent new show that's out.

For example; Good Trouble is fine but like... it just follows the usual Freeform'd formula (ambitious female characters, light politics, boring eye candy, soapy drama). There's no need for "The 1st new GREAT show of 2019!11!!"

Like if these TV critics were in charge of reviewing the recent 1975 album, almost all of them will say it's better than OK Computer...

Wicked
26 minutes ago, Maddox said:

I get the idea of how pointless it is to write a negative review now that there's too much ~good content to focus on, BUT they need to stop hyping every decent new show that's out.

For example; Good Trouble is fine but like... it just follows the usual Freeform'd formula (ambitious female characters, light politics, boring eye candy, soapy drama). There's no need for "The 1st new GREAT show of 2019!11!!"

Like if these TV critics were in charge of reviewing the recent 1975 album, almost all of them will say it's better than OK Computer...

Some stuff is just ok, but it seems they have a problem saying that now. I'm not watching that Good Trouble nonsense regardless of their payola because all Freeform shows are the same; just like you said. They're also massively conflating intent/ambition with quality + execution. I've seen way too many reviews talking about what Barry is trying to say... Yet nobody mentioning how amateur it is 80% of the time. Mr. Inbetween (just watched it lol) literally does the same "trying to transition to a normal life" stuff and was more compelling cause unlike Barry, Ray has an actual personality.

Maybe it is because in the age of social media they can be directly attacked for bad/mixed reviews but c'mon, that's your job. At this point I'm more likely to follow a second tier critic like Allison Keene because she has no problem saying something was MOTR to her; even if I end up disagreeing. Or Emily dragging Maisel even tho I like the show.

Maddox
8 hours ago, Wicked said:

Some stuff is just ok, but it seems they have a problem saying that now. I'm not watching that Good Trouble nonsense regardless of their payola because all Freeform shows are the same; just like you said. They're also massively conflating intent/ambition with quality + execution. I've seen way too many reviews talking about what Barry is trying to say... Yet nobody mentioning how amateur it is 80% of the time. Mr. Inbetween (just watched it lol) literally does the same "trying to transition to a normal life" stuff and was more compelling cause unlike Barry, Ray has an actual personality.

Maybe it is because in the age of social media they can be directly attacked for bad/mixed reviews but c'mon, that's your job. At this point I'm more likely to follow a second tier critic like Allison Keene because she has no problem saying something was MOTR to her; even if I end up disagreeing. Or Emily dragging Maisel even tho I like the show.

I've been saying!!! I'm amazed at the amount of shows that came out just after Barry with a much better execution of its concept lmao :rip: 

And yeah it's often on these negative reviews that we get a more fitting perspective rather than saying basically nothing abt an average show. They definitely should be setting a standard of defining the quality of a series based on its originality/ability to offer something new and refreshing so as not to fall on painful hyperboles everytime; the rest is on the viewers. I mean, even when they all ganged up on Insatiable, Netflix folks (including me lol) still finished it for some reason.

-

The discourse around You is soo tiring :zzz: I need the second season to suck so that everyone can stfu about it

Wicked
6 hours ago, Maddox said:

I've been saying!!! I'm amazed at the amount of shows that came out just after Barry with a much better execution of its concept lmao :rip: 

And yeah it's often on these negative reviews that we get a more fitting perspective rather than saying basically nothing abt an average show. They definitely should be setting a standard of defining the quality of a series based on its originality/ability to offer something new and refreshing so as not to fall on painful hyperboles everytime; the rest is on the viewers. I mean, even when they all ganged up on Insatiable, Netflix folks (including me lol) still finished it for some reason.

-

The discourse around You is soo tiring :zzz: I need the second season to suck so that everyone can stfu about it

Those shows don't have HBO backing it and popular names starring in it though, so they're pretty doomed.

You is a show that should've been one season, It should've ended with homegirls death. Would've been a nice miniseries. A second season is unnecessary to me; plus the ending of the finale was stupid and cringeworthy.

Wicked

Sex Education is awesome and is literally the first show to not only tackle teen male sexuality with nuance but accurately showcase some hardships teen girls go through when it comes to sex. Consistent writing & performances. Beyond the handling of sexuality, they also touch on social anxiety, peer pressure & body image perfectly. Only real bug is some of the dialogue is outdated, needed some younger consultants because someone actually says "chill pill" ...

Then I find out it was created and 99% written by women.:clap3: Gillian Anderson is great as always. Asa Butterfield is amazing, didn't know he had a comedic streak!!

There's finally a character I relate to style & personality wise on a Netflix show... Did not expect that lmao. Hope it gets picked up for a second season. I hope there's deeper conversation on the show throughout the year because it honestly deserves it. As I already said I'm in shock how well young womens sexuality was handled because it's usually treated as a joke or not a big deal --but again, attribute that to a woman running the show!!--. Some cliche stuff here and there, the story isn't anything special, but the characters are so well handled/developed! The Good Place should take notes.

I'm American and I see a lot of complaints from UK viewers that the setting is too American and nothing like UK school...? I wouldn't know tbh but there is a John Hughes vibe.

Wicked

Frankie Shaw responds to allegations of misconduct on ‘SMILF’ set

As for the complaints about the writers’ room being racially divided, Shaw said by e-mail: “The writers chose their own offices — I did not assign the writers their offices. If anyone ever felt left out, it was certainly never my intention.” She said the complaint surprised her because one of her goals for the show’s second season was for a more inclusive, diverse staff.

“Over a third of writers credited on scripts for Season 2 are women of color — their voices and contributions are vital to the storytelling,” she said.

Girl, this is some bull****. This whole thing is a damn mess. Her response to every complaint is deer in headlights.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/television/2019/01/10/frankie-shaw-speaks-about-allegations-and-smilf-season/X7ihxeNd35Cb8n2iEFdCnI/story.html

Wicked

"People are thirsting over Joe Goldberg in Netflix's 'You' and it's problematic AF" I wish this was a better written article, but it's pretty accurate...

Reminds me of the Dexter thirst but honestly that was less messy. If you aren't a murderer/pedo, you don't have anything to worry about with Dexter... Joe is a weirdo stalking asshole with a psychotic-level of nice guy syndrome.

------

From the team behind Super Troopers and this is suddenly my most anticipated new series of the year now :skull: Sorry Watchmen.

Maddox
3 hours ago, Wicked said:

Sex Education is awesome and is literally the first show to not only tackle teen male sexuality with nuance but accurately showcase some hardships teen girls go through when it comes to sex. Consistent writing & performances. Beyond the handling of sexuality, they also touch on social anxiety, peer pressure & body image perfectly. Only real bug is some of the dialogue is outdated, needed some younger consultants because someone actually says "chill pill" ...

Then I find out it was created and 99% written by women.:clap3: Gillian Anderson is great as always. Asa Butterfield is amazing, didn't know he had a comedic streak!!

There's finally a character I relate to style & personality wise on a Netflix show... Did not expect that lmao. Hope it gets picked up for a second season. I hope there's deeper conversation on the show throughout the year because it honestly deserves it. As I already said I'm in shock how well young womens sexuality was handled because it's usually treated as a joke or not a big deal --but again, attribute that to a woman running the show!!--. Some cliche stuff here and there, the story isn't anything special, but the characters are so well handled/developed! The Good Place should take notes.

I'm American and I see a lot of complaints from UK viewers that the setting is too American and nothing like UK school...? I wouldn't know tbh but there is a John Hughes vibe.

Oh this is reassuring!! Downloading as we speak

3 hours ago, Wicked said:

Frankie Shaw responds to allegations of misconduct on ‘SMILF’ set

As for the complaints about the writers’ room being racially divided, Shaw said by e-mail: “The writers chose their own offices — I did not assign the writers their offices. If anyone ever felt left out, it was certainly never my intention.” She said the complaint surprised her because one of her goals for the show’s second season was for a more inclusive, diverse staff.

“Over a third of writers credited on scripts for Season 2 are women of color — their voices and contributions are vital to the storytelling,” she said.

Girl, this is some bull****. This whole thing is a damn mess. Her response to every complaint is deer in headlights.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/television/2019/01/10/frankie-shaw-speaks-about-allegations-and-smilf-season/X7ihxeNd35Cb8n2iEFdCnI/story.html

Sure...

Again how does she have any power?? Like she's only been on a few episodes of Mr Robot lol

2 hours ago, Wicked said:

"People are thirsting over Joe Goldberg in Netflix's 'You' and it's problematic AF" I wish this was a better written article, but it's pretty accurate...

Reminds me of the Dexter thirst but honestly that was less messy. If you aren't a murderer/pedo, you don't have anything to worry about with Dexter... Joe is a weirdo stalking asshole with a psychotic-level of nice guy syndrome.

This is what i've been talking about. I've seen multiple takes on this going around on twitter and ppl are making some pretty crazy claims 

Penn Badgley shutting down those thirst tweets about Joe was funny tho :dies: 

Maddox
11 hours ago, Wicked said:

You is a show that should've been one season, It should've ended with homegirls death. Would've been a nice miniseries. A second season is unnecessary to me; plus the ending of the finale was stupid and cringeworthy.

Did you read this? Like she said, i might be on board with that cliff if we get to see him facing some consequences for his past actions. But knowing Netflix they'll probably stretch this to no end + Joe has a big fan base now...

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/how-does-you-netflix-end-ending-explained.html

Wicked
22 minutes ago, Maddox said:

Sure...

Again how does she have any power?? Like she's only been on a few episodes of Mr Robot lol

This is what i've been talking about. I've seen multiple takes on this going around on twitter and ppl are making some pretty crazy claims 

Penn Badgley shutting down those thirst tweets about Joe was funny tho :dies: 

She clearly wasn't ready to be in charge of a show and needs to go get some assistance, but I'm not buying the oblivious act. And this excuse to asking someone to pull up their shirt :doc: "I forgot I was her boss", asdfghjk if a man said this :bibliahh:

Wicked
1 hour ago, Maddox said:

Did you read this? Like she said, i might be on board with that cliff if we get to see him facing some consequences for his past actions. But knowing Netflix they'll probably stretch this to no end + Joe has a big fan base now...

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/how-does-you-netflix-end-ending-explained.html

Well I can't read it bc Vulture has monthly limits now :skull:

FutureHive
On 1/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, Maddox said:

:heart2:

this lowkey spoilered the ending

Maddox
12 hours ago, FutureHive said:

this lowkey spoilered the ending

nn my bad :rip: 

Did you finish the season?

Maddox
21 hours ago, Wicked said:

Well I can't read it bc Vulture has monthly limits now :skull:

Search the title on ur incognito mode, that's what i usually do with this/NYer pieces

FutureHive
39 minutes ago, Maddox said:

nn my bad :rip: 

Did you finish the season?

yea finished The Americans yesterday. im in a drought again

watching dexter for a 3rd time with a cousin who’s watching for the 1st time.

and DC’s Titans on netflix as well

zony111

guys, can you recommend a new tv show to watch? something like htgawm, scandal, homeland or the handmaid's tale

Maddox
7 hours ago, FutureHive said:

yea finished The Americans yesterday. im in a drought again

watching dexter for a 3rd time with a cousin who’s watching for the 1st time.

and DC’s Titans on netflix as well

Well what did you think? I feel like S4 will remain the show's peak followed closely by S6, the rest is also great obviously!

I'm starting Legends Of Tomorrow/Justified, can't get into Dexter for now.

3 hours ago, zony111 said:

guys, can you recommend a new tv show to watch? something like htgawm, scandal, homeland or the handmaid's tale

The show that's closest (also much superior) to all of these is probably The Good Fight. Even if you've never watched The Good Wife it won't hurt your watching experience.

FutureHive
1 minute ago, Maddox said:

Well what did you think? I feel like S4 will remain the show's peak followed closely by S6, the rest is also great obviously!

I'm starting Legends Of Tomorrow/Justified, can't get into Dexter for now.

The show that's closest (also much superior) to all of these is probably The Good Fight. Even if you've never watched The Good Wife it won't hurt your watching experience.

i liked the americans overall but season 5 felt like the slowest season. i bet that’s where most ppl quit the show

i seen justified when it was still on air. im due for the 1st rewatch 

dexter has a ****ty ending but the first 6? seasons are still one on my favorite shows to watch

no comment on Legends of Tomorrow

Wicked

Justified :jonny4: One of the 2010s greats.

10 hours ago, Maddox said:

Search the title on ur incognito mode, that's what i usually do with this/NYer pieces

Hmm well, I agree with the idea that season 2 needs to be Joe sweating (figure of speech, don't wanna see Penn sweating literally) and I suppose Candace could be the key to that. I guess we'll just have to see when it gets back.

Leptine

Prisons shows always slay me, I'm loving 'Escape at Dannemora', I just started it, Patricia Arquette is amazing, love her character :dies:

Maddox

Watching Sex Education/Baby back to back 

tenor.gif

The latter was very booooring (sorry @Leptine) The amount of scenes i've skipped and it's only 42 min an episode :zzz: The one good thing about it was the friendship between the two female leads. Aside from that, i did not care about the rest... Just overblown random character pairings that are just filler tbh

SE was good. The way the show covers these pretty sensitive topics is very refreshing, also i liked it more when it was focused on Eric and he deserves better than to be paired with the closeted bully (i know they've been hinting from the beginning i don't care). But still... It's too long (ffs can't they just settle for 40/42 min???) and Gillian Anderson's character was the pits.

FutureHive

how is this a tv fanatics thread and nobodys watched Line of Duty (besides me ofc)

cmon fam