TV Fanatics 📺 | Emmy Season Approaching!

6,995 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2019 at 4:34 AM, Allstar said:

Why does everyone love Schitt's Creek? Does this suddenly turn great or did the first episode just not work for me? I wanna and am gonna give this a chance but I'm curious to know lol

I feel the exact same way. I’ve been watching it off and on for a couple months and I’m still only about halfway through the 1st season :skull: it’s enjoyable but not interesting enough to be something I have a desire to sit and binge watch.

Umbrella Academy pilot was really good, superhero ish shows are usually boring after a few eps so I’ll try this one and see

wanna check out The Other Two and At Home next

14 hours ago, Leptine said:

I need Miss Germ on this at every cost to complete that EGOT :jonny6:

Just found out abt the 2nd season of Suburra :deadbanana2: I hate Netflix

3 minutes ago, Maddox said:

Just found out abt the 2nd season of Suburra :deadbanana2: I hate Netflix

I posted it in here the ad some weeks ago... I'm gonna watch it asap.

8 minutes ago, Leptine said:

I posted it in here the ad some weeks ago... I'm gonna watch it asap.

I wonder how do they manage to promote their stuff since their weekly programming is so overwhelming ... they need to chill :skull: 

8 minutes ago, Maddox said:

I wonder how do they manage to promote their stuff since their weekly programming is so overwhelming ... they need to chill :skull: 

They're kind of exaggerating I agree, I don't know if you still followed the Oscars, they had the most expensive campaign for a movie ever :deadbanana4:

They literally sent any kind of gadget, even food to voters. I really hope their movie is not gonna win, also because it's a boring pretentious mess.

Now with Disney and Apple to open their streaming services, the situation will be even more messy :sick:

Forgot Better Things debuted wtf, TVTime didn't give me the notif.

Off to my site to grab it lmao, I'll set my tive to give it some ratings tho.

7 hours ago, Wicked said:

Forgot Better Things debuted wtf, TVTime didn't give me the notif.

Off to my site to grab it lmao, I'll set my tive to give it some ratings tho.

(I think) it debuted on the fx app lol

-

Aya Cash was phenomenal on the recent YTW episode:jonny: i know the emmys are out of the question but i hope we'll get to see more of her after the show

23 hours ago, Leptine said:

They're kind of exaggerating I agree, I don't know if you still followed the Oscars, they had the most expensive campaign for a movie ever :deadbanana4:

They literally sent any kind of gadget, even food to voters. I really hope their movie is not gonna win, also because it's a boring pretentious mess.

Now with Disney and Apple to open their streaming services, the situation will be even more messy :sick:

omg :rip: 

idk i'm mixed on the Roma mess bc i love the film and i want it to win just to witness the meltdowns of those who were like "it's a TV movie!!11!!1!", but at the same time this Weinstein level desperation is just gross especially when there's such weak competition :doc: 

Although i'm sure the ceremony tonight will be more entertaining than the ****ing emmys :mazen: 

1 hour ago, Maddox said:

omg :rip: 

idk i'm mixed on the Roma mess bc i love the film and i want it to win just to witness the meltdowns of those who were like "it's a TV movie!!11!!1!", but at the same time this Weinstein level desperation is just gross especially when there's such weak competition :doc: 

Although i'm sure the ceremony tonight will be more entertaining than the ****ing emmys :mazen: 

It's definitely not a tv movie, but it's the classic black and white movie made in the style of old movies of that genre without the entertainment part since it's very boring with a few dialogues, nice shots, beautiful shots, but that's all.

A moving photography, nice for an installation in a Mexican museum... I would have gave him a cinematograhy or editing prize, nothing more.

Cuaron is not Pawlikowski or Trakovskij...

Cooper deserved BP and BD a lot more for the huge work he has done, especially for a debut managing to direct like a veteran...

Aya Cash was amazing last episode. Agreed. Another stellar comedic performance that will go entirely unnoticed by the Emmys throughout its run, lol.

Came here to post the "His Dark Materials" teaser. I'm so excited!!! :duca:

Also, LOL. Thanks for the Better Things reminder, I didn't know it had premiered yet. About to watch.

------------------------

Let's keep this TV discussion, please.

But also Cold War's cinematography ***** on Roma, yes. However, Roma is, at least out of the alternatives, one of the best possible wins tonight, so pick a different fight, tbh.

3 hours ago, Leptine said:

It's definitely not a tv movie, but it's the classic black and white movie made in the style of old movies of that genre without the entertainment part since it's very boring with a few dialogues, nice shots, beautiful shots, but that's all.

A moving photography, nice for an installation in a Mexican museum... I would have gave him a cinematograhy or editing prize, nothing more.

Cuaron is not Pawlikowski or Trakovskij...

Cooper deserved BP and BD a lot more for the huge work he has done, especially for a debut managing to direct like a veteran...

TV movie in the sense that it's on Netflix, which is ironic since these are the same ppl who conisder TP:TR a film film (i don't understand the rules tbh, film twitter can be so confusing at times...) i can't comment on the Cuaron/Pawlikowski comparison but at least Roma winning is a better outcome than like Green Book (which i predict will be the winner tonight)

I feel kinda bad for Bradley, you can tell he worked hard on ASIB but i'm team Rami (it's easier to pretend he's winning for Mr Robot lol :fan:)

47 minutes ago, Allstar said:

https://twitter.com/everythingloria/status/1098336889470238720

PROMOTE THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND HAPPEN TO SEE ON THE STREET!!!

It's unfortunate that she has to promote this way everytime there's a new season, why can't The Kominsky Method go through this ffs :doc: 

New Broad City was nice, glad we got some type of closure to Ilana/Lincoln's relationship

10 minutes ago, Maddox said:

TV movie in the sense that it's on Netflix, which is ironic since these are the same ppl who conisder TP:TR a film film (i don't understand the rules tbh, film twitter can be so confusing at times...) i can't comment on the Cuaron/Pawlikowski comparison but at least Roma winning is a better outcome than like Green Book (which i predict will be the winner tonight)

I feel kinda bad for Bradley, you can tell he worked hard on ASIB but i'm team Rami (it's easier to pretend he's winning for Mr Robot lol :fan:)

From a side they have a point about that, but at the same time Netflix and streaming is how people are watching movies now, I don't know it's a complicated argument. Also Cannes banned Netflix movies...

For the rest with crappy movies like 'The Wife' and 'Tragic Rapesody', it's truly a celebration of 'Hallmark' and 'Lifetime' movies this year.

I agree, it's disgusting how they treated him, oh well, I'm glad he won a Grammy at least, the Oscar will eventually arrive for him, but the Grammy was his first and last chance in his career with this project, he can become an EGOT in the future.

6 hours ago, Maddox said:

Byeeee. Emmys was perfection compared to this set of predictable winners Oscars will provide. The Americans and The Crown winning major Drama categories, Mrs. Maisel sweeping the Comedy categories >>>>> Roma, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody sharing the awards :biblio:

15 minutes ago, Leptine said:

From a side they have a point about that, but at the same time Netflix and streaming is how people are watching movies now, I don't know it's a complicated argument. Also Cannes banned Netflix movies...

For the rest with crappy movies like 'The Wife' and 'Tragic Rapesody', it's truly a celebration of 'Hallmark' and 'Lifetime' movies this year.

I agree, it's disgusting how they treated him, oh well, I'm glad he won a Grammy at least, the Oscar will eventually arrive for him, but the Grammy was his first and last chance in his career with this project, he can become an EGOT in the future.

And they're already reconsidering their decision lol. This is why i want ROMA to win, there has to be a serious discussion abt how these streaming services should be embraced by the film industry

1 minute ago, KylieistBoi said:

Byeeee. Emmys was perfection compared to this set of predictable winners Oscars will provide. The Americans and The Crown winning major Drama categories, Mrs. Maisel sweeping the Comedy categories >>>>> Roma, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody sharing the awards :biblio:

Didn't mean the picks specifically (ofc i was happy with the maisel/ACS/Matthew Rhys wins) but more like the ceremony itself didn't produce any memorable moments aside from that proposal. It was like a succession of award presentations with forgettable hosts. At least you can expect some messiness on Oscar night

3 minutes ago, Maddox said:

Didn't mean the picks specifically (ofc i was happy with the maisel/ACS/Matthew Rhys wins) but more like the ceremony itself didn't produce any memorable moments aside from that proposal. It was like a succession of award presentations with forgettable hosts. At least you can expect some messiness on Oscar night

I loved the efficiency of the show tbh. We had a proposal live on stage and those messy Fred & Maya scenes and they gave a lot of awards but they were still able to finish on time, Oscars can learn a few things from them. The only bad part was the hosts imo. 

Cannes did NOT ban Netflix movies, lmao. They openly welcomed and WANTED Netflix to premiere their movies there.

They're only not allowed in the main competition because their releasing strategies do not line up with the rules set by Cannes for decades. And the fight last year was so ridiculous, considering Netflix did end up releasing Roma in theaters in France for a period that would have made it eligible in competition after all, they just wanted to have an ego. Cannes is and will be fine without them and Netflix is eventually going to eat up their own **** because they'll be coming back to Cannes, too.

18 minutes ago, Allstar said:

Cannes did NOT ban Netflix movies, lmao. They openly welcomed and WANTED Netflix to premiere their movies there.

They're only not allowed in the main competition because their releasing strategies do not line up with the rules set by Cannes for decades. And the fight last year was so ridiculous, considering Netflix did end up releasing Roma in theaters in France for a period that would have made it eligible in competition after all, they just wanted to have an ego. Cannes is and will be fine without them and Netflix is eventually going to eat up their own **** because they'll be coming back to Cannes, too.

I ~kind of get Netflix pov, i mean the 36 months wait is not ideal for them. I recently read that they've come to an agreement but idk

Ironically enough last year was so much superior than the year when they competed (Asako/Burning/Lazzaro/Wild Pear Tree/Knife + Heart etc.. :jonny: 

I get their POV, but their arguments were just being butthurt. There is no damage done to any of their movies released for a very short time period in a small number of cinemas in only one country. They do it in the US already for Oscar eligibility, so really was all about flaunting their ego internationally. Cannes has always been about the preservation of cinema and celebrates that every year. Now, I would understand an argument had Cannes entirely banned them, but they didn't. They vocally encouraged Netflix to stay and wanted them to premiere their movies there out of comp (esp. Welles and Cuaron) so there's not much of an argument here, really. If other streaming content film producers like Amazon can do it, so can Netflix. I don't think there's a real agreement yet, but Netflix just bought international distribution rights for A24's Uncut Gems so in France it won't be in theaters most likely. Will be interesting to see what case they're going to make for that one this time. A24 is definitely gonna want that in.

Last year's competition was terrific (Shoplifters, Cold War, Blackkklansman, too), but so many movies in the other sections were great, too. It was just an amazing year for Cannes. This year is actually going to be surprisingly even more crowded on paper than last year so I'm hoping those projects will make it in time and then translate into great works once seen, as well.

28 minutes ago, Allstar said:

I get their POV, but their arguments were just being butthurt. There is no damage done to any of their movies released for a very short time period in a small number of cinemas in only one country. They do it in the US already for Oscar eligibility, so really was all about flaunting their ego internationally. Cannes has always been about the preservation of cinema and celebrates that every year. Now, I would understand an argument had Cannes entirely banned them, but they didn't. They vocally encouraged Netflix to stay and wanted them to premiere their movies there out of comp (esp. Welles and Cuaron) so there's not much of an argument here, really. If other streaming content film producers like Amazon can do it, so can Netflix. I don't think there's a real agreement yet, but Netflix just bought international distribution rights for A24's Uncut Gems so in France it won't be in theaters most likely. Will be interesting to see what case they're going to make for that one this time. A24 is definitely gonna want that in.

Last year's competition was terrific (Shoplifters, Cold War, Blackkklansman, too), but so many movies in the other sections were great, too. It was just an amazing year for Cannes. This year is actually going to be surprisingly even more crowded on paper than last year so I'm hoping those projects will make it in time and then translate into great works once seen, as well.

In a way, i can understand their desperation to be taken seriously hence why they were being aggressive since the cannes rejection and the protests at Berlin and Venice (i remember reading an article abt how a Cannes member said they could only reconsider their decision if Roma wins an oscar). On the other hand you're right, they could've just emulated Amazon's model, it's not like they have a shortage of content.

American journalists complaining abt the lack of Hollywood stars last year was a kii :skull: I recently watched Bi Gan's Long Day's Journey into Night which was brilliant :jonny5: This year better be good!

OT: The Other Two desperately wants to be like Difficult People and it's not funny

HBO dropped new promo of their upcoming shows. new footage of GOT and Watchmen and the first coherent footage of Euphoria

The Deuce and 2DQ both having labeled as "new season" instead of "final season" (like Veep) is interesting :huh:

also wth with this description? :bibliahh:

My heart stopped when seeing this new Euphoria and The Righteous Gemstones footage and started again at Watchmen. 2019 is my new favorite year. #HBO2019

17 minutes ago, Mr.Fenty said:

HBO dropped new promo of their upcoming shows. new footage of GOT and Watchmen and the first coherent footage of Euphoria

The Deuce and 2DQ both having labeled as "new season" instead of "final season" (like Veep) is interesting :huh:

also wth with this description? :bibliahh:

Wasn't Silicon Valley supposed to air till 2020?? Either way i'm hyped for almost all of these :duca: