Zero Tolerance for Hate Speech Read more... ×

TV Fanatics 📺 | Emmy Season Approaching!

6,910 posts in this topic

Mr Greenbird
15 hours ago, Maddox said:

What do you think will be their next drama contender now that The Americans is over? Either way, they need to be more aggressive with their awards campaign cuz they had the perfect chance to sweep last year and yet GOT won for that forgotten season...

They have 7 shows about to air but 4 of them are limited series, 2 of them are comedies and 1 (Y, probably won't be Emmy player) are those. 

They should develop dramas more. 

Mr Greenbird
9 hours ago, Staryu said:

I guess this is worth watching? I've seen some of y'all mention it quite a bit. The day season 1 came out, I watched like 2 minutes of the first episode and heard the laugh track and it seemed like a CBS sitcom and I said not for me and never watched anymore :rip: 

This show is so good! Very well-written. Highly recommend it. 

Maddox
On 2/7/2019 at 10:53 PM, Leptine said:

It gets so much worst, most annoying  and nonsense characters ever, I still don't know how I managed to watch it, pretentious edgy garbage x1000.

It's always these shows that get compared to 'Girls' that end up being severely overrated.... I think i'll finish it to get the full picture then i'll get back to your comment

10 hours ago, Mr Greenbird said:

They have 7 shows about to air but 4 of them are limited series, 2 of them are comedies and 1 (Y, probably won't be Emmy player) are those. 

They should develop dramas more. 

I do hope Pose will stay in the conversation. So far it's their only strong contender (nobody cares abt Legion or Snowfall) but you're right they should produce some worthy dramas!

Wicked

ODAAT is killing it.

Maddox

This review was not it... especially coming from him

Maddox
11 minutes ago, Wicked said:

ODAAT is killing it.

I assume you're very satisfied with Scheinder's arc!!

Overall i really loved it :heart2: First half was a little (and i mean veery little) weak but dammit the second half gave me all the feels that i don't care. This show is too precious for me to nitpick any of its weaknesses:jonny5:

Leptine
22 minutes ago, Maddox said:

It's always these shows that get compared to 'Girls' that end up being severely overrated.... I think i'll finish it to get the full picture then i'll get back to your comment

Yes that's the genre, but if Dunham can be perceived as prententious and annoying, 'Please Like Me', it's 1000x worst, at the point that you will start to hate all the characters in the last 2 seasons and nothing will make sense at the end..

I finshed the last season of 'Channel Zero', the pilot slayed, then the show declined episode by episode, but the idea was good like always but they never managed to execute properly, same for the other seasons.. but overall very enjoyable.

For sure better than Stephen King messy shows.

Wicked
2 hours ago, Maddox said:

I assume you're very satisfied with Scheinder's arc!!

Overall i really loved it :heart2: First half was a little (and i mean veery little) weak but dammit the second half gave me all the feels that i don't care. This show is too precious for me to nitpick any of its weaknesses:jonny5:

I just finished episode 10, why must they destroy me like this :jonny4: I've been waiting for a good Schneider plot and this is it. Netflix should push Todd Grinnell, Rita & Justina for those Emmy noms.

I ****ing hate Schnieder's dad though, omfg. It's a miracle he turned out to be such a good guy (and not racist scum like his dad). Ughhh Lemme finish lol

Wicked

Schneider...

Mess at them getting me emotionally attached to a super privileged white man like this

:jonny4: One of the good ones tho

FutureHive

heard season 5 of Justified sucks ass. (i dont remember much from when i watched it back when it aired) 

on the bright side, the gorgeous Alicia Witt is in it 😍

Wicked

The season started off very good but not at hot as Hellfire.

Alcoholic stuff gets to me, and when it's not well done it irks me and I find it offensive, thankfully for what it's worth they nailed it. I'm also really glad they didn't make Schneider an angry drunk because while that is a big reality, it's not the only one. I did

kinda have a problem with it because imo... Someone is as in your life for 17 years like Schneider (while you've experienced him both as an active drinker + sober) and he was able to hide it this long? Not realistic. That's something you would instantly notice at least in my experience.

But other than my nitpicking, it was a great season! Looooove this show.

4 hours ago, Maddox said:

This review was not it... especially coming from him

I don't agree with most of this review outside of Schneider getting the best stuff to chew through this season. And lmao at someone in the replies saying it'd be just another CBS sitcom, are they serious? Elena would've been made into a parody of herself from the get go & Lydia would've just been an exaggerated mockery of older Latina women. Meanwhile, Elena is a representative of this social media feminism but a lot more realistic & practical, she admits she's overzealous and she's open to compromise and understanding a different perspective... CBS post-Norman's prime literally could never :skull: but back to this Alan review, I still found the show to perfectly handle drama & comedy; not really sure what he was watching. There WAS an overarching theme as well

evolution & growth. Elena transitioning into womanhood, Alex is getting older, Lydia is accepting her old age, Penelope dealing with Victor's marriage, etc,.
When your job is reviewing television for a living but something very obvious jumped over your head...

Maddox
19 hours ago, Wicked said:

The season started off very good but not at hot as Hellfire.

Reveal hidden contents

Alcoholic stuff gets to me, and when it's not well done it irks me and I find it offensive, thankfully for what it's worth they nailed it. I'm also really glad they didn't make Schneider an angry drunk because while that is a big reality, it's not the only one. I did

kinda have a problem with it because imo... Someone is as in your life for 17 years like Schneider (while you've experienced him both as an active drinker + sober) and he was able to hide it this long? Not realistic. That's something you would instantly notice at least in my experience.

But other than my nitpicking, it was a great season! Looooove this show.

I don't agree with most of this review outside of Schneider getting the best stuff to chew through this season. And lmao at someone in the replies saying it'd be just another CBS sitcom, are they serious? Elena would've been made into a parody of herself from the get go & Lydia would've just been an exaggerated mockery of older Latina women. Meanwhile, Elena is a representative of this social media feminism but a lot more realistic & practical, she admits she's overzealous and she's open to compromise and understanding a different perspective... CBS post-Norman's prime literally could never :skull: but back to this Alan review, I still found the show to perfectly handle drama & comedy; not really sure what he was watching. There WAS an overarching theme as well

Reveal hidden contents

evolution & growth. Elena transitioning into womanhood, Alex is getting older, Lydia is accepting her old age, Penelope dealing with Victor's marriage, etc,.

When your job is reviewing television for a living but something very obvious jumped over your head...

Fair enough about Schneider

Spoiler

it did seem a little too perfect for him to keep breaking his sobriety without any of them noticing. My one lil quibble is that the guest stars didn’t have much material to use but that’s a non-issue really.

First of all, can we talk about how Melissa fumero’s character being a trump supporter is already one of the best twists of the year so far :ahh: I screamed at that one lol

Also I never thought they could top Justina’s depression episode and yet they dropped this almost too realistic anxiety special :jonny5:So brilliant! Also the Alex/Lydia + alex and elena moments were too ****ing real... It's like revisting my own family conversations

The show deserves a lot of credit for making a character like Schneider almost too likable for his own sake, like I previously said even critics favorite and master of fluffy quirky characters Mike Schur can’t pull it off. But I also have to give some props to Todd Grinnell ‘cause he was really great; seriously the entire cast is amazing and they deserve all the awards etc… I’m angry now that Netflix is already deciding to dedicate its award budget to garbage like Kimmy and the 2 old grandads from The Kominsky Method when they don’t care much :skull: 

When i first read that part on Sepinwall’s review i was confused like did we watch the same show?? The natural blend of their drama/comedy elements is the show’s biggest strength and it still is… Looking back, the thought of the drama being too heavy or the jokes being misplaced has yet to occur to me.  And I don’t see how Schneider’s alcohol issue is weak compared to the metoo special or the drug plot + on what measure did he base this comparison? And now he’s saying that the show might verge on misery **** :doc: And so what, if he can go through Handmaid's Tale, praise Barry's offhanded protrayal of depression and lick TGP's ass then i'll enjoy my misery **** however i want

KasioKas

Wow Sex Ed is actually laugh out loud funny. Thought i'd write it off but it's actually v. enjoyable. No cliches yet. 4 eps in.

V. excited for Umbrella Academy, seems like Xmen & sense 8 meshed together, hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Scandalous

just finished Russian Doll :jonny:

2 eps into PEN15 and I actually love it so far :skull: I enjoy this type of dumb humor. it will prob struggle to find an audience tho, it kinda reminds me of Alone Together which barely slid into a 2nd season

Wicked
1 hour ago, Maddox said:

17 years sober is a huge life achievement.

But whew at them bringing people in when the writers themselves have no experience with the situations. It shows. Congrats to Todd!

On 2/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, Maddox said:

Fair enough about Schneider

Reveal hidden contents

it did seem a little too perfect for him to keep breaking his sobriety without any of them noticing. My one lil quibble is that the guest stars didn’t have much material to use but that’s a non-issue really.

First of all, can we talk about how Melissa fumero’s character being a trump supporter is already one of the best twists of the year so far :ahh: I screamed at that one lol

Also I never thought they could top Justina’s depression episode and yet they dropped this almost too realistic anxiety special :jonny5:So brilliant! Also the Alex/Lydia + alex and elena moments were too ****ing real... It's like revisting my own family conversations

The show deserves a lot of credit for making a character like Schneider almost too likable for his own sake, like I previously said even critics favorite and master of fluffy quirky characters Mike Schur can’t pull it off. But I also have to give some props to Todd Grinnell ‘cause he was really great; seriously the entire cast is amazing and they deserve all the awards etc… I’m angry now that Netflix is already deciding to dedicate its award budget to garbage like Kimmy and the 2 old grandads from The Kominsky Method when they don’t care much :skull: 

When i first read that part on Sepinwall’s review i was confused like did we watch the same show?? The natural blend of their drama/comedy elements is the show’s biggest strength and it still is… Looking back, the thought of the drama being too heavy or the jokes being misplaced has yet to occur to me.  And I don’t see how Schneider’s alcohol issue is weak compared to the metoo special or the drug plot + on what measure did he base this comparison? And now he’s saying that the show might verge on misery **** :doc: And so what, if he can go through Handmaid's Tale, praise Barry's offhanded protrayal of depression and lick TGP's ass then i'll enjoy my misery **** however i want

How is the Schneider ep weak? That's just as much of an issue as the other things and personally had the biggest affect on me as a viewer out of the three episodes. I actually thought the #MeToo episode could've been written a lot better but I don't really wanna get into it. I don't think the show is misery **** lmao, there's way too many good things that happen for it to be that. It's real life, people go through **** but they're not down 24/7 365. I think Schneider is more realistically likeable + good than Jack from This Is Us just for comparisons sake. Well they're kinda unpacking Jack's stuff; Schneider is that really annoying and clueless friend but you'd trust 'em with your life (or in Penelope's case, your kids lives). The Good Place characters I don't like any of them that much... They're just more straight up annoying that you wouldn't wanna be around, yet you'd watch them on tv.

Is anyone gonna miss Counterpart? :skull: Excited for everything else I guess. Slow year so far, need the Brockmire premiere date cause it should be next month.

Maddox
27 minutes ago, Wicked said:

Is anyone gonna miss Counterpart? :skull: Excited for everything else I guess. Slow year so far, need the Brockmire premiere date cause it should be next month.

Aside from the few Fringe stans who are watching probably not :skull: 

-

We have decided to stan!