Best of 2018 is now open! Read more... ×

Black artists come to Bruno's defense

172 posts in this topic

AALIYAH DANA

There was only like, one black ARTIST( singular) in that article that defended him. Soooo

liberalmusiclover

Uncle Charlie Wilson is all that needs to defend him.  :clap3: 

2NE1

Bruno’s cool. I feel like everything she said was right just not for the right artist. 

Javan

this is why they will remain in chains.

MissedTheTrain
2 minutes ago, AALIYAH DANA said:

There was only like, one black ARTIST( singular) in that article that defended him. Soooo

Charlie Wilson, Rapsody and 9th Wonder are all cited.  Just paraphrasing their article title.

MissedTheTrain
Just now, Javan said:

this is why they will remain in chains.

.....?

Javan
Just now, MissedTheTrain said:

.....?

African americans.

Domination

So bored of articles based on cherry picking tweets. Enough already.

MissedTheTrain
1 minute ago, Javan said:

African americans.

Why do you say that? 

MissedTheTrain
1 minute ago, Domination said:

So bored of articles based on cherry picking tweets. Enough already.

They're citing some legitimate artists who backed up, not "cherry picked" tweets from randoms.

Olpsy

OT::clap3:

When are these “Bruno Mars is Culture Appropriating” claims going to die down?

:zzz:

Javan
5 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

Why do you say that? 

Too forgiving. Due to their low self esteem and inferiority complex, so long as massa is happy so are they. Bruno may not be massa but every non-black group is privileged to this kind of coddling. But the younger generation is unlearning this much faster.

5Z4qe1z.gif

MissedTheTrain
1 minute ago, Javan said:

Too forgiving. Due to their low self esteem and inferiority complex, so long as massa is happy so are they. Bruno may not be massa but every non-black group is privileged to this kind of coddling. But the younger generation is unlearning this much faster.

5Z4qe1z.gif

But this is about Bruno.  The things that girl was saying in the video could apply to some people, but not to Bruno.  I don't see how he at all deserves to be criticized for who he's inspired by...he has always been respectful.  A renowned artist like Charlie Wilson coming to his defense says enough.

princedonte
6 minutes ago, Javan said:

5Z4qe1z.gif

Victim complex. 

Javan
Just now, MissedTheTrain said:

But this is about Bruno.  The things that girl was saying in the video could apply to some people, but not to Bruno.  I don't see how he at all deserves to be criticized for who he's inspired by...he has always been respectful.  A renowned artist like Charlie Wilson coming to his defense says enough.

He can be criticised for a multitude of reasons.

1). For not speaking up

2). For stealing 

3). For pursuing this genre of music, knowing his advantage and the consequence of that.

but in the end it all starts with the racism of the industry, and instead of these twitter personalities to redirect the conversation to that matter, their immediate reaction was the cape and shut it down. All because they prioritised Bruno's feelings over the culture. It's this type of self destructive behaviour that will have Funk/Soul & RnB turn into the new jazz in no time.

5Z4qe1z.gif

Javan
3 minutes ago, princedonte said:

Victim complex. 

Nothing is worse than an inferiority complex sis

IMG_0507.thumb.JPG.ff9462360f46047815403

FreeXone

5 minutes ago, Javan said:

1). For not speaking up

2). For stealing 

3). For pursuing this genre of music, knowing his advantage and the consequence of that.

but in the end it all starts with the racism of the industry, and instead of these twitter personalities to redirect the conversation to that matter, their immediate reaction was the cape and shut it down. All because they prioritised Bruno's feelings over the culture. It's this type of self destructive behaviour that will have Funk/Soul & RnB turn into the new jazz in no time.

5Z4qe1z.gif

I would say Bruno had more of a disadvanatge. Latinos and asians/pacific islanders are probably more underrepresented in Hollywood than black musicians outside of their own genres. I have never hears of latinos outselling black people by singing RNB. And lets be honest when he firsg came out everyone for the longesr thought he was part black lmao.

And to be fair Bruno is puerto rican so he more than likely has black in him. Other than JLo what other latino star slayed rnb and had number 1 hits? Lol. I cant think of any.

Blue G
17 minutes ago, Javan said:

bullshot alert!

MissedTheTrain
8 minutes ago, Javan said:

1). For not speaking up

2). For stealing 

5Z4qe1z.gif

What exactly did he steal?  And what kind of music he allowed or not allowed to do? I get that there's racism in the industry, but to attack Bruno for it is kind of ridiculous.  He has always been genuinely appreciative of the influences he shows in his music.  He's not throwing it on like a costume and then throwing it aside, he's a real artist who is genuine with the kind of music he does and the influences he is channeling.  Besides, he is a POC himself.  Is he supposed to act white?  Is he only allowed to do Filipino or Puerto Rican styles?

Charlie Wilson said it well:

FreeXone
1 minute ago, MissedTheTrain said:

What exactly did he steal?  And what kind of music he allowed or not allowed to do? I get that there's racism in the industry, but to attack Bruno for it is kind of ridiculous.  He has always been genuinely appreciative of the influences he shows in his music.  He's not throwing it on like a costume and then throwing it aside, he's a real artist who is genuine with the kind of music he does and the influences he is channeling.

Charlie Wilson said it well:

Agreed. He us the FURTHEST thing from blue eyed soul. His skin color alone and latin roots put him at his own racial disadvantages. That man won due to TALENT. There is nothing white about him. Lol save this argument for the taylor swifts,sam smiths and justin Timberlakes

Blue G
5 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

I would say Bruno had more of a disadvanatge. Latinos and asians/pacific islanders are probably more underrepresented in Hollywood than black musicians outside of their own genres. I have never hears of latinos outselling black people by singing RNB. And lets be honest when he firsg came out everyone for the longesr thought he was part black lmao.

And to be fair Bruno is puerto rican so he more than likely has black in him. Other than JLo what other latino star slayed rnb and had number 1 hits? Lol. I cant think of any.

:cm:

Javan
1 minute ago, FreeXone said:

I would say Bruno had more of a disadvanatge.

With the audiences Bruno appeals to his racial ambiguity was not a disadvantage at all. Had he been a white skinned latino, he would have had his ass lit up like Iggy Azalea, its because he is brown with curly hair and low self-esteem blacks are so desperate to claim people that don't claim them that he is advantaged. The industry wants rnb in a non-black face, it don't have to be white, but it can't be black.

5 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

Latinos and asians/pacific islanders are probably more underrepresented in Hollywood

Hollywood? Absolutely not. Music, perhaps. But when you take into account that reggaeton is just the flavour of the month, not really.

6 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

And lets be honest when he firsg came out everyone for the longesr thought he was part black lmao.

Bruno's race was highly contested. I can find numerous articles that prove people were undecided by his racial ambiguity. Bruno mars does not look like a *****, and we know that because he's label wanted to make him the next Ricki Inglesias before anything else.

7 minutes ago, FreeXone said:

And to be fair Bruno is puerto rican so he more than likely has black in him. Attacking him is dumb

Bruno mars is a quarter Puerto Rican. His father is half Puerto Rican and half Ashkenazi Jewish. And this is his grandfather, who is supposedly Puerto Rican? 

2012-11-12-brunomarsandgrandfathersmolenyak.jpg

Does he look afro-puertorican to you? lmao. He is as black as Lady Gaga is Native American. He has brown skin because he's mother is filipino, he has Curley hair because his father is jewish. He aint half black, he not even a quarter black. Cut it out.

5Z4qe1z.gif

Javan
36 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

What exactly did he steal?

https://www.spin.com/2017/12/yet-another-group-has-sued-bruno-mars-mark-ronson-over-uptown-funk/

And what kind of music he allowed or not allowed to do?

He is allowed to do whatever he wants. That doesn't make him immune for criticism. I've said before, the whitewashing of genres is much like gentrification - it requires complicit actors, even if they have good intentions. Bruno is one of them, and he is probably even worse than the average gentrifiers because gentrification is a covert, convoluted process, Bruno is in the industry, he knows exactly what the game is.

He has always been genuinely appreciative of the influences he shows in his music.  He's not throwing it on like a costume and then throwing it aside, he's a real artist who is genuine with the kind of music he does and the influences he is channeling.

thats cute for him, he's still complicit and he's still profiting on these racist biases in the industry.

Is he supposed to act white?  Is he only allowed to do Filipino or Puerto Rican styles?

He can do styles where blacks have a semblance of equal opportunity perhaps? So said styles are not at risk of whitewashing? just a thought. Charlie Wilson said with his own mouth that Bruno is responsible for bringing back old RnB genres and New Jack Swing to the masses. For that person not even to be black is a disgrace. And that is how it starts. It took one person to open the flood gates and white wash jazz, same for house/disco. But as I said, because black Americans are taught to have such low self esteem and seek white validation, their priority will never be to protect the culture first and foremost. Their priority is "aww what is fair to brunooo?, he does genwinly like dese junwahs and he give cwedits and makes us feel good about ourselfs :sosad:". 

And the older you go, the worst it gets, which is why Charlie Wilsons tweet don't mean **** to me. He couldn't even drink for the white person fountain, why would I expect him to have pride and self respect? Its the same reason why Charlamagne can make Monique the donkey of the day (for standing up to racism in the industry), disrespect her on his show, but take Tomi Lahren out for drinks and kiis. That;s why it takes a young millennial like Seren Sensei to say what she said, because she's not concerned with how non-blacks see her, her priority isn't to hold hands and kumbaya, she puts her people and her culture first.

5Z4qe1z.gif