In a hindsight, is ARTPOP really a BIG FLOP?

Cryptique

liberalmusiclover
1 minute ago, robotdanger said:

Gaga didn't have the benefit of SPS back then, which (as we already established), Anti benefited tremendously from due to the blockbuster singles it produced.

ARTPOP still sold considerably well no matter how you flip it. This is evident not only by sales, but also how the ArtRAVE outgrossed the Anti World Tour. 

v3292.thumb.jpg.933cf7184e6bbd6b6faa01f8

ANTI isn't the only album benefitting from SPS.  EVERY album since late 2014 is.  :deadbanana2:

And ARTRAVE grossed $83 million.  According to Forbes, the ANTI World Tour grossed $107 million from fewer shows.  

You're wasting your time comparing ARTPOP to a 2016 release.  You're making it look even more of a bigger flop considering it only sold 75K more than ANTI (which had 1.47 million free downloads available from Samsung/TIDAL).  I even mentioned two contemporaries released within weeks of ARTPOP (PRISM and MMLP2) and you've ignored those.

1 hour ago, liberalmusiclover said:

Yes.  There is no "hindsight."

For the metrics that measured performance at that time (2013), the album is a flop and will remain as such.

it's sold bigger than Bangerz and Femme Fatale. both considered as successful eras. v3292.thumb.jpg.933cf7184e6bbd6b6faa01f8

1 hour ago, BajanBeauty said:

The year will be 2040 and Monsters will still be trying to convince the masses Artpop didn’t do bad. 

Compare her 2013 album stats to: 

P!nk- The truth about love (2012)

Rihanna- Unapologetic (2012) 

Beyonce- Beyoncé (2013)

Katy - Prism (2013)

Miley- Bangerz (2013) 

and it’s clear....

sold bigger than Bangerz and Femme Fatale. both considered successful eras. 

well considering BTW had over a million first week and this album hasn’t even sold that much in its entire chart run speaks for itself 

comics-dc-gif-harley-quinn-Favim.com-461

19 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

sold bigger than Bangerz and Femme Fatale. both considered successful eras. 

No. Bangers sold 1 million copies 

2 hours ago, TOASTY said:

I think decent is a key word.  In 2013, if this was the debut album of a female pop girl I would view it as a decent success (can't include tour figures for that, though because that would NEVER happen and Gaga's ArtRave sales are partially due to her previous successes).  I would think that the following album would make or break her ability to have longevity.

I personally LOVE Artpop but I'm talking purely statistically.  Anyone remember when the HDD thread dropped its predictions from 350k to like 260 and the mess that followed on ATRL?

Yes:skull: 

I was stanning for Britney at the time and dragged her for doing FF #s then a month later Britney Jean bombed and Beyonce slayed out of nowhere, 2013 was something else :deadbanana: 

-

In hindsight no it wasn't a flop but it was definitely an underperformance.

Personally, I don’t call an album a “flop” purely for sales anymore. Albums like 4 are labeled flops and then become acclaimed/respected and therefore have a good impact on the artist’s career.

albums like Witness, ARTPOP and bionic are rightly labeled flops because they tank the public image of the artists. They did a lot of damage that can be healed but never completely taken away.

7 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

No. Bangers sold 1 million copies 

WW.. Bangerz - 2.1M, ARTPOP - 2.2M , 

Spoiler

Bangerz won in SPS tho by 1.8M

1 hour ago, alfonso12 said:

It's not even a flop, it's an underperformance for Gaga's standards back then. A big flop would be something like Britney Jean or Lotus.

this.

people are labeling it as a massive flop but it ain't even Lotus or Britney Jean levels.

and it sold bigger than Bangerz and Femme Fatale WW.. for everybody's information

9 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was talking about USA physical copies 

Just now, Monster Megamind said:

yeah. Bangerz sold over 1M in the US.. But ARTPOP outsold globally. 

9 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

Reveal hidden contents

14 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

yeah. Bangerz sold over 1M in the US.. But ARTPOP outsold globally. 

Artpop is considered a flop because she crashed down and sold 1/3 of her previous album. But I think it's not as big a flop as witness tho

SilencePlease

It flopped but not as much as Joanne.

1 hour ago, liberalmusiclover said:

ANTI isn't the only album benefitting from SPS.  EVERY album since late 2014 is.  :deadbanana2:

And ARTRAVE grossed $83 million.  According to Forbes, the ANTI World Tour grossed $107 million from fewer shows.  

You're wasting your time comparing ARTPOP to a 2016 release.  You're making it look even more of a bigger flop considering it only sold 75K more than ANTI (which had 1.47 million free downloads available from Samsung/TIDAL).  I even mentioned two contemporaries released within weeks of ARTPOP (PRISM and MMLP2) and you've ignored those.

:cm:

OT: There's really no getting around it. ARTPOP flopped.

2 hours ago, GoneHome said:

As others have stated, an underperformance for Gaga's career yes, but a flop no. 

Yes. 2009-2014 was the peak of female domination, the fact that she did not do well in such favourable conditions only makes the underperformance worse.

Yes. Because if Beyonce, Rihanna, or any other major pop girl had released that album with those sales and tour figures in 2013 it would've been deemed a flop. End of story. Obviously it didn't do as bad as some haters make it seem, but it was DEFINITELY a flop for pop girl standards at the time. 

And obviously now that sales are much worse and females in general are struggling more this seems like less of a flop. 

3 hours ago, SupremeGoddess said:

Considering the LM's considered every other pop girl album, at the time, a flop even tho they either matched or outperformed Artpop I'd say Artpop was a flop

This

A platinum album with a 14 week top 10, another top 10 and a top 15 double platinum hit..  4M+ SPS WW.

That would ONLY be considered a flop for Gaga post BTW/TFM and of course Adele/Taylor.

So that in itself speaks a lot.  ARTPOP is a flop, but Gaga isn't.  Whereas when your favs flop THEY flop. 

Edited by Mariano

It was decent for any artist. It was a flop for Gaga who came from selling 1m+ in one week with her previous album to selling 700k total.

You’re using 2013 sales climate so yes it is 

Just when i thought i had seen it all, monsters are saying Artpop was more successful than Anti as if it even achieved half of what Anti did :bibliahh:

It's NEVER a big flop. :rip: It's an underperformance.

Joanne is the real flop.

On 3/15/2018 at 2:23 AM, Isaiah said:

You’re using 2013 sales climate so yes it is 

was it really a BIG FLOP?? Bangerz sold 2.1M (2013) and Femme Fatale sold 1.7M (2011) WW.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.