In a hindsight, is ARTPOP really a BIG FLOP?

Cryptique

Pure Sales - 775,000 (US) & 2,200,000 (WW)

SPS - 1,500,000 (US) & 4,200,000 (WW)

2 Top10s & top15 - Applause (4 - 14wks top10) & Dope (8) & DWUW (13)

Applause - biggest radio hit at 130M+ AI

Artrave - 83M+ :mandown:

I mean, in Gaga's standards coming from BTW it's a flop, but taking all of that away.. it's a decent stats don't you think?

Edited by Cryptique

It was never a big flop. The messiness of the era itself just translated as floppage.

I think decent is a key word.  In 2013, if this was the debut album of a female pop girl I would view it as a decent success (can't include tour figures for that, though because that would NEVER happen and Gaga's ArtRave sales are partially due to her previous successes).  I would think that the following album would make or break her ability to have longevity.

I personally LOVE Artpop but I'm talking purely statistically.  Anyone remember when the HDD thread dropped its predictions from 350k to like 260 and the mess that followed on ATRL?

Edited by TOASTY

1 minute ago, TOASTY said:

I think decent is a key word.  In 2013, if this was the debut album of a female pop girl I would view it as a decent success (can't include tour figures for that, though because that would NEVER happen and Gaga's ArtRave sales are partially due to her previous successes).  I would think that the following album would make or break her ability to have longevity.

I personally LOVE Artpop but I'm talking purely statistically.  Anyone remember when the HDD thread dropped its predictions from 350k to like 260 and the mess that followed on ATRL?

it's definitely decent or more than decent if it was her debut.

this is the problem to Gaga's success after BTW. everybody is undermining her success because of her MAMMOTH debut stats. but when compared to regular artists it's pretty much decent.

4 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

it's definitely decent or more than decent if it was her debut.

this is the problem to Gaga's success after BTW. everybody is undermining her success because of her MAMMOTH debut stats. but when compared to regular artists it's pretty much decent.

I think there were a lot of things that contributed to the overall reception of Artpop, one definitely being the BTW success.  Gaga was kind of losing a bit of steam at the end of the BTW era, and I believe that people (GP) were beginning to lose a bit of interest, which I also think contributed.  Gaga herself at the time also seemed to be going through something (please don't drag me, I am a Gaga fan but I'm not a little monster so my knowledge isn't as in-depth) mentally at the time.  She didn't feel like the same person (granted everyone changes) and I think that might have confused the GP.

All of that being said, I am ready and waiting for Artpop act 2 even tho we will likely never get it.

Edited by TOASTY

Considering the LM's considered every other pop girl album, at the time, a flop even tho they either matched or outperformed Artpop I'd say Artpop was a flop

Never been a flop in terms of success but for Gaga's standards after TFM and BTW, it felt underwhelming but the behind the scenes were messy AF! Troy leaving, Terry Richardson/R. Kelly and the DWUW fiasco, then waiting months to release GUY as a single.

What made it "flop" was definitely the image of the era but not the sales. And guess what, stans who called it a flop are now enjoying their faves' flops while Joanne did amazing!

liberalmusiclover

Yes.  There is no "hindsight."

For the metrics that measured performance at that time (2013), the album is a flop and will remain as such.

v3292.thumb.jpg.933cf7184e6bbd6b6faa01f8

Metamorphosis
3 minutes ago, liberalmusiclover said:

Yes.  There is no "hindsight."

For the metrics that measured performance at that time (2013), the album is a flop and will remain as such.

But it sold more than Anti, and the Anti era had way bigger singles.

liberalmusiclover
5 minutes ago, robotdanger said:

But it sold more than Anti, and the Anti era had way bigger singles.

ANTI sold 700K in the streaming era (AFTER giving 1.47 million copies away and canceling a Grammy Awards performance).

ARTPOP sold 775K in the digital era, after endless promotion, a highly anticipated chart battle that garnered media attention, etc.

It's ignorant to even try to compare 2013 sales to 2016 sales considering streaming is the main method of consumption now.  Even then, ANTI's sales are still much more impressive.

The year will be 2040 and Monsters will still be trying to convince the masses Artpop didn’t do bad. 

Compare her 2013 album stats to: 

P!nk- The truth about love (2012)

Rihanna- Unapologetic (2012) 

Beyonce- Beyoncé (2013)

Katy - Prism (2013)

Miley- Bangerz (2013) 

and it’s clear....

Edited by BajanBeauty

Metamorphosis
1 minute ago, liberalmusiclover said:

ANTI sold 700K in the streaming era (AFTER giving 1.47 million copies away and canceling a Grammy Awards performance).

ARTPOP sold 700K in the digital era, after endless promotion, a highly anticipated chart battle that garnered media attention, etc.

The excuses. :skull:

You’re neglecting that Anti had multiple smash hit singles, while ARTPOP had only one big hit, plus a huge smear campaign from the media.

And the tour did much better. 

Why?

Yes it is.

liberalmusiclover
1 minute ago, robotdanger said:

The excuses. :skull:

You’re neglecting that Anti had multiple smash hit singles, while ARTPOP had only one big hit, plus a huge smear campaign from the media.

And the tour did much better. 

Why?

ANTI in 2016 = Success

ARTPOP in 2013 = Flop

I hate to break it to you, but that's just the way it is.  No need to go off topic.  Hell, this thread is about ARTPOP anyway.  Why bring up ANTI, the best performing female album of 2017, in the first place?

It's not even a flop, it's an underperformance for Gaga's standards back then. A big flop would be something like Britney Jean or Lotus.

Metamorphosis
1 minute ago, liberalmusiclover said:

ANTI in 2016 = Success

ARTPOP in 2013 = Flop

I hate to break it to you, but that's just the way it is.  No need to go off topic.  Hell, this thread is about ARTPOP anyway.  Why bring up ANTI, the best performing female album of 2017, in the first place?

It’s easy to have that title when all the females that year sans Taylor flopped.

And I brought it up to back up the OP’s point that it wasn’t as big of a flop as y’all made it seem.

I mean, after all it did sell more than the apparent “best performing female album of 2017.”

no not even half of what ppl made it...it was just a big downfall and thats why ppl made it like it was such a big flop 

NO. It was a big underperformance for Gaga's standards, but the sales could have been a lot worse and Applause was a huge hit. ATRL exaggerates this way too much.

It was ONLY an underperformance by her own standards.

But no, it didn't flop. People just fume cause they don't like the album.'

Meanwhile I love it. :gaycat4: 

liberalmusiclover
3 minutes ago, robotdanger said:

It’s easy to have that title when all the females that year sans Taylor flopped.

And I brought it up to back up the OP’s point that it wasn’t as big of a flop as y’all made it seem.

I mean, after all it did sell more than the apparent “best performing female album of 2017.”

Sales in 2017 < Sales in 2013.  That's the point you're not getting.  The fact that it only sold 75K more.  Mess.

ARTPOP was literally the 103rd best-selling album of 2013 in the United States (compared to albums released around the same time: PRISM was 49th, MMLP2 was 16th).  It was the 34th best-selling album of 2014 in the United States (PRISM was 8th, MMLP2 was 5th).  ANTI was the 5th best performing album of 2016 and the 23rd best performing album overall in 2017.

As others have stated, an underperformance for Gaga's career yes, but a flop no. 

Metamorphosis
5 minutes ago, liberalmusiclover said:

Sales in 2017 < Sales in 2013.  That's the point you're not getting.  The fact that it only sold 75K more.  Mess.

ARTPOP was literally the 103rd best-selling album of 2013 in the United States (compared to albums released around the same time: PRISM was 49th, MMLP2 was 16th).  It was the 34th best-selling album of 2014 in the United States (PRISM was 8th, MMLP2 was 5th).  ANTI was the 5th best performing album of 2016 and the 23rd best performing album overall in 2017.

Gaga didn't have the benefit of SPS back then, which (as we already established), Anti benefited tremendously from due to the blockbuster singles it produced.

ARTPOP still sold considerably well no matter how you flip it. This is evident not only by sales, but also how the ArtRAVE outgrossed the Anti World Tour. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.