Are deluxe editions over?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Are deluxe editions over?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably… maybe…

27 posts in this topic

Yndda

serious question. in the age of streaming, where most services don't offer artists a paywall to put their albums behind, do you think deluxe editions are kind of done for?

not even taylor released a deluxe for reputation. all she did was release a japanese edition with a bonus DVD of the LWYMMD lyric vid, music vid, and the BTS video for it

i can only see indie/unpopular artists still doing deluxe versions, like a year after the "standard" version comes out as some sort of continuation, à la sia with "this is acting". not saying sia is unpopular tho, homegirl has proved herself

DancingShoes

Most likely especially if Target is dropping CDs within the next few years.

Yndda
Just now, DancingShoes said:

Most likely especially if Target is dropping CDs within the next few years.

oop added to the poll

Ice Cream Skies

I hope so. I'd rather have one fully-realized complete tracklist than some random outliers people can choose to keep or leave.

Ryanicorn

I feel like they need to...die. As well as random bonus tracks being on the tracklist in certain countries. 

Either put them on the standard or rihlease them as a platinum edition to get more sales later on in the album cycle with one of the deluxe tracks serving as the lead.

Little Dark Age

yes and no. I feel like the 'deluxe' keyword is being saved for re-releases

ex: Evolve was re-issued as a deluxe version with 1 bonus track a few weeks ago

PoKiTaurus

I hope so. Always hated this tactic of deluxe tracks. 

Roberto

They are not really necessary anymore. 

Tattooed Heart

I hope so. I like the idea of having the whole body of work in one place so all of the songs are easy to listen to!

Enoch

Physical retail is dead now so.... Waiting for Walmart to kick it altogether

Dynamo

As long as B-sides/unreleased albums are released :emofish:

im not here for short albums without bonus tracks :'(

LEMONADE

Only if the deluxe editions are the new standards. 

I only use the deluxe editions because of the extra songs.

I never use standards when I can use the deluxe and get the standard plus some. 

daydreams

Hopefully. Denying (at least officially) songs to certain countries/platforms always felt weird.

If they're good put them on the standard, if they're **** leave them off. E.g. Definitely 2, maybe all 3 of the Target bonus tracks for 25 belonged on the standard. One is literally one of Adele's greatest vocal performances ever, and the way it is nobody will ever know it :deadbanana4:

Eleven Diamonds

I like deluxe editions but only if the deluxe is standard, everywhere. I hate when deluxe edition tracks change by country. Like, what's the point? :skull:

theworldfamous
15 minutes ago, Eleven Diamonds said:

I like deluxe editions but only if the deluxe is standard, everywhere. I hate when deluxe edition tracks change by country. Like, what's the point? :skull:

In Japan it's cheaper to buy an imported album (for example: the US) than it is to buy an album that was made in Japan. Japan always has the random bonus tracks and DVDs as an incentive for Japanese fans to buy a domestic copy.

aesthetic bih

In the US, sure. At least we'd have Japanese Bonus Tracks :'(

J-esper

What we get now is just an additional extra song, atleast that seems to be what labels are trying.

Shawn Mendes with There's Nothing Holding Me Back and Imagine Dragons with Next To Me. Or even what Fifth harmony did by adding the Pitbull collabo as additional track.

I wouldn't be surprised if that will be the new thing, adding a song midway the era to gain new attention, or maybe in extension to that, release a 10-track album, release one or two singles before the album release, one after, and then keep adding new songs every few months. That way they can inflate the album sales (SPS), especially in the US market currently.

But tbh I doubt they will be fully over, I feel we will see different ways of Deluxe Editions. I feel Deluxe editions will be sold on artists websites, there will be extra tracks added to the vinyl version of an album and they will find other ways to add extra tracks aswell.

Randall

The only thing I truly dislike about these deluxe pressings is that they almost always come with an alternate cover. Cohesive artistic vision, please!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0