Check Out Pop Culture Talk! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Arlissa talks Roc Nation trying to make her next Shakira

11 posts in this topic

Kim Kardashian

arlissa_main.jpg

First signed by a major label at 19, Arlissa’s booming voice was pushed by the wayside via restricting suits trying to “package her as the next Shakira.” Even after gaining notoriety for her collaboration with Nas (“Hard to Love Somebody”), Arlissa didn’t feel herself in the music or her own career trajectory. And that lack of authenticity was something that she couldn’t take anymore.

A quick Google search uncovers old articles and photos of Arlissa with straightened hair and dramatic makeup styled as a factory pop star in the making. This is nothing like the woman in a simple yellow sundress comfortable in her own skin, refusing to “be” anything but in the moment. It’s refreshing and rare, but it didn’t come without a price. “To be honest, I think the only way I gained self-confidence was by being smacked around [by the music industry] all the time,” Arlissa says. “I was just constantly being shot down. Like the first time around when I signed [with a label] I was constantly being told ‘no,’ constantly being told I can’t do this, I can’t sound like this, this is not who you are.” Pushing some hair out of the way, she smiles in the face her painful past. “That was the worst, [being told] ‘this is not who you are.’”

source

Kim Kardashian

Roc Nation/Capitol wasting such a talent :shakeno:

CwYKt7nWEAA_RJy.jpg

trainsskyscrapers

I HATE that Roc Nation tried to make her something she wasn't, but I've noticed the best way to create your own lane as a new artist is to use other artists you're friends with and collaborate. 

Labels are old-fashioned, stubborn, and usually wrong. 

Does she have a soundcloud? Is she at least putting out music of the flavour she wants?

Kim Kardashian
3 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

I HATE that Roc Nation tried to make her something she wasn't, but I've noticed the best way to create your own lane as a new artist is to use other artists you're friends with and collaborate. 

Labels are old-fashioned, stubborn, and usually wrong. 

Does she have a soundcloud? Is she at least putting out music of the flavour she wants?

Yeah, basically she got herself out of the contract a few years ago and started from scratch.

They (along with Capitol Records) mismanaged her so badly that she had like no fanbase whatsoever.

She started putting out acoustic singing videos on Facebook/YouTube (like the one in the OP) and now has a little fanbase that's she's building up.

trainsskyscrapers
Just now, Kim Kardashian said:

Yeah, basically she got herself out of the contract a few years ago and started from scratch.

They (along with Capitol Records) mismanaged her so badly that she had like no fanbase whatsoever.

She started putting out acoustic singing videos on Facebook/YouTube (like the one in the OP) and now has a little fanbase that's she's building up.

Oh.... That sucks. :dancehall: Those two labels together should've been LETHAL. (Capitol handling radio, and Roc Nation getting endorsements) 

Hopefully she can get back on her feet! I'm surprised she didn't even get a Made In America slot or anything. 

Opium

didn't Roc Nation tried to make Rita Ora the next Rihanna? that didn't work out really well :skull: 

trainsskyscrapers
2 minutes ago, Opium said:

didn't Roc Nation tried to make Rita Ora the next Rihanna? that didn't work out really well :skull: 

Her UK chart record is ASTOUNDING. 

They certainly built a strong relationship with UK radio. 

Her Endorsements punch well above her weight, and she's getting fashion/acting/hosting gigs off of ONE ALBUM. What are you talking about?:rip:

ProblematicStan

Damn!!!  She's so talented, Sticks and Stones still bops

Opium
5 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Her UK chart record is ASTOUNDING. 

They certainly built a strong relationship with UK radio. 

Her Endorsements punch well above her weight, and she's getting fashion/acting/hosting gigs off of ONE ALBUM. What are you talking about?:rip:

That she couldn’t release more than one album and some singles 

RudeBoyy

nnn mess at Roc Nation trying to replace their own acts Rihanna & Shakira w/ new acts like Arlissa & Rita Ora. Glad they both left.

Kim Kardashian
10 minutes ago, Opium said:

That she couldn’t release more than one album and some singles 

That was due to some really bad luck.

Her chart record speaks for itself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Ora_discography

15 minutes ago, J Rick said:

Damn!!!  She's so talented, Sticks and Stones still bops

Sticks & Stones is one of the songs she doesn't seem to like sadly.

She removed its music video from VEVO recently.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0