Mississippi abortion court case could overturn Roe v. Wade

198 posts in this topic

800.jpeg

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi lawmakers on Thursday passed what is likely to be the nation’s most restrictive abortion law, making the procedure illegal after 15 weeks of pregnancy.

The House voted 75-34 in favor of the measure, and Gov. Phil Bryant has said he will sign it.

The owner of Mississippi’s only abortion clinic has pledged to sue— a move lawmakers not only knew to expect, but seemed to be encouraging, in hopes of eventually getting the U. S. Supreme Court to take up the issue and allow states to begin restricting abortion earlier in pregnancy.

“It seems like a pretty simple bill designed to test the viability line that the Supreme Court has drawn,” said David Forte, a law professor at Ohio’s Cleveland State University.

There are two exceptions to House Bill 1510: if the fetus has a health problem that would prevent it from surviving outside the womb at full term, or if the pregnant woman’s life or a “major bodily function” is threatened by the pregnancy. Pregnancies as a result of rape and incest are not exempt. X

it's weird to see my state here on ATRL

Good. I hope it does.

Disgusting.

3 minutes ago, Divine said:

Good. I hope it does.

And why is that?

Just now, AwardLegend said:

And why is that?

Because I believe abortion is wrong, and there are almost always other options that don't involve killing the fetus.

good :clap3: and the exceptions listed are reasonable ones

1 minute ago, Divine said:

Because I believe abortion is wrong, and there are almost always other options that don't involve killing the fetus.

Lol

If raped, a woman should HAVE to bear that persons child? 

Scratch that, if an underage female was molested AND raped AND impregnated by her father, she should HAVE to bear her Dads child?

Both are also real situations that has happened btw.

No... this would be a huge step backwards for our country. Not surprising that once republicans gained full power, certain states want to start mess like this. What’s next, overturning gay marriage?

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, Divine said:

Good. I hope it does.

I've seen a lot of bad politics opinions and I think this somehow outdoes the user who said Hitler helped Europe. :skull:

You better be vegan and never have killed a fly. 

Just now, Communion said:

I've seen a lot of bad politics opinions and I think this somehow outdoes the user who said Hitler helped Europe. :skull:

Are you seriously suggesting anti-abortion stances are worse than genocide / ethnic cleansing? :biblio:

Just now, Divine said:

Are you seriously suggesting anti-abortion stances are worse than genocide / ethnic cleansing? :biblio:

I'm suggesting stripping women of bodily autonomy is a horrible stance to have.

And an extremely hypocritical one if you've ever eaten meat, done harm to a living creature, masturbated, had a period that wasn't fertilized, etc.

3 minutes ago, AwardLegend said:

Lol

If raped, a woman should HAVE to bear that persons child? 

Scratch that, if an underage female was molested AND raped AND impregnated by her father, she should HAVE to bear her Dads child?

Both are also real situations that has happened btw.

Most pro-life laws make exceptions for rape and incest. I'm not sure why this one doesn't.

I dont think the supreme court would side with mississippi lawmakers

Just now, Communion said:

I'm suggesting stripping women of bodily autonomy is a horrible stance to have.

And an extremely hypocritical one if you've ever eaten meat, done harm to a living creature, masturbated, had a period that wasn't fertilized, etc.

Well, it's not just an issue that affects the mothers.

And the second half of your post is silly. Comparing animals to humans, and suggesting that unfertilized eggs and sperm are the same as an embryo/fetus.

4 minutes ago, robotdanger said:

No... this would be a huge step backwards for our country. Not surprising that once republicans gained full power, certain states want to start mess like this. What’s next, overturning gay marriage?

giphy.gif

States always try to overturn and fail. 

Abortion won't be overturned anytime soon. Supreme Court members rarely overturn big cases like abortion (they just put more restrictions) and the court is the same when Scalia was on it, so sending it now would be a big failure. They literally just ruled in favor of abortion in a case 2 years ago :-* 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/06/27/supreme_court_strikes_down_texas_abortion_law_hb2.html

This has zero chance of happening lol

3 minutes ago, Divine said:

Well, it's not just an issue that affects the mothers.

And the second half of your post is silly. Comparing animals to humans, and suggesting that unfertilized eggs and sperm are the same as an embryo/fetus.

This:

pink-pig.jpg

has more sentience than this:

hqdefault.jpg

If it's wrong to kill the latter, it's wrong to kill the former by any objective measure.

Im sure they are ready and willing to take it all the way to the supreme court. Now that the SCOTUS is ready to overturn precedent with the Janus case, I'm sure a ton of conservatives will start pulling these stunts to overturn more precedents. 

The government should not be allowed to tell humans what they can or cannot do to their bodies. What kind of Orwellian society do y’all have in mind? Don’t want an abortion? Don’t get one. But who are you to dictate what another person can do with their bodies? The law decision exists for a reason.

giphy.gif

Don’t most happen before 15 weeks anyway? Like 90 something percent and only less than 10% happen later which is usually when there is a fetal abnormality or life of the mother is in jeopardy? I mean I guess they’re making it harder for mother whose fetuses have abnormalities to get an abortion but this won’t end Roe v Wade. It’s annoying that they keep trying to chip away at women’s right to make decisions about her own body

Disgusting. They're happy to funnel money into wars killing actual children but this is immoral to them?

14 minutes ago, Divine said:

You better be a pacifist then.

3 minutes ago, Communion said:

This:

pink-pig.jpg

has more sentience than this:

hqdefault.jpg

If it's wrong to kill the latter, it's wrong to kill the former by any objective measure.

I disagree. Sorry.

The government does not deserve the right to dictate what is happening to a woman's own body. These lawmakers are disgusting.

4 minutes ago, infrared said:

States always try to overturn and fail. 

Abortion won't be overturned anytime soon. Supreme Court members rarely overturn big cases like abortion (they just put more restrictions) and the court is the same when Scalia was on it, so sending it now would be a big failure. They literally just ruled in favor of abortion in a case 2 years ago :-* 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/06/27/supreme_court_strikes_down_texas_abortion_law_hb2.html

I’m sure our current political situation has given them a bit more courage. :cm:

Thankfully the Supreme Court judges are for life.