Best of 2018 is now open! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Would you own an axolotl?

34 posts in this topic

Barovi

These animals are said to be extinct in the wild but make a popular aquatic pet. Would you own one?

endangered-axolotl.jpg?x34763

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuomQCfyPl_WXs49FOXC1

klynb

They're so cute! But no, if they're going extinct then they need to be protected at all costs.

carpetbeetle
Just now, klynb said:

They're so cute! But no, if they're going extinct then they need to be protected at all costs.

Clytemnestra

Yes, when I was young I remember going through Ebay and some local sites seeing if I could buy em cause none of the pet stores had em 

But then I googled what I'd need to take care of one and that crap is expensive af

Barovi
1 minute ago, klynb said:

They only exist because they are bred in captivity and sold as pets if it weren’t for this they would have been gone by now. They only live in one place in the world and that habitat is extremely small and polluted so keeping them as pets isn’t a bad thing imo

klynb
Just now, Barovi said:

They only exist because they are bred in captivity and sold as pets if it weren’t for this they would have been gone by now. They only live in one place in the world and that habitat is extremely small and polluted so keeping them as pets isn’t a bad thing imo

Oh, okay....then I'd gladly get one, but I can't take care of myself anyways so :gaycat4:

Digital

Get one, inject it with iodine and see what happens! Magic! :cm:

Barovi
1 minute ago, Digital said:

Get one, inject it with iodine and see what happens! Magic! :cm:

This is unhealthy for them and will shorten their lifespan 

Digital
8 minutes ago, Barovi said:

This is unhealthy for them and will shorten their lifespan 

And so will owning one in a small ass tank where they swim in a circle for their entire lives. :cm:

That being said, I only posted what I did to get a reaction out of the people who know nothing about their ability to metamorphosize.

Kesha

A couple years ago I looked into getting one and did a lot of research but in the end it was just too much to take care of one

Shine

Yes, I have 3! They are a year old now...I love them they aren’t that hard to maintain.

Dessy
43 minutes ago, klynb said:

:cm:  

conatus

Yes, I would love to. I've considered it before.

Barovi
1 minute ago, Blue. said:

Yes, I stand Mudkip.

2555ed4d6865c56dc6a32335d85b9347fde880d7

Mudkip is a mudskipper :angry:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvdj-Cd1fLq8LAGsFjaPF

HumanitySector

I accidentally caught one (it was very small) while i was trying to catch a frog with my net (I was lsike 7). I tried to pet it (had no idea what it was) but it died after 3 hours :weeps::weeps::weeps: 

Heidi's Chair

by Jesse Kanda ana doon kanda aka the Chris Cunningham of our generation?

I sure do!

Barovi
Just now, HumanitySector said:

I accidentally caught one (it was very small) while i was trying to catch a frog with my net (I was lsike 7). I tried to pet it (had no idea what it was) but it died after 3 hours :weeps::weeps::weeps: 

You probably caught a baby salamander. Axolotles are/were only found in a lake in Mexico City. The difference between salamanders and axolotles is that salamanders metamorphosize and leave the water but Axolotles don’t.

Kesha
4 minutes ago, HumanitySector said:

You sure it was an axolotl? They are only native to a lake in Mexico

HumanitySector
9 minutes ago, Barovi said:

You probably caught a baby salamander. Axolotles are/were only found in a lake in Mexico City. The difference between salamanders and axolotles is that salamanders metamorphosize and leave the water but Axolotles don’t.

7 minutes ago, Kesha said:

You sure it was an axolotl? They are only native to a lake in Mexico

I am 100% certain it was white with reddish things around neck, at first I thought it was this thing (also one of the rarest animals in the world)
Image result for covecija ribica

but after searching I found out that it was axolotl. Weird thing, since I live in southern europe. Only other explanation is that it was an albino salamander :michael: 

Horse
8 minutes ago, HumanitySector said:

I am 100% certain it was white with reddish things around neck, at first I thought it was this thing (also one of the rarest animals in the world)
Image result for covecija ribica

but after searching I found out that it was axolotl. Weird thing, since I live in southern europe. Only other explanation is that it was an albino salamander :michael: 

Was probably an olm

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0