Did Rihanna inspire Beyoncé to go more explicit?

383 posts in this topic

I think she did tbh. It was clear to see with Drunk in Love. I think when everyone first saw that they thought it was a Rihanna song/video. I think Rihanna inspired Beyoncé to be a bit more carefree with her music. Before ST, Beyoncé was rarely explicit in her music. Now she can't get enough. This was something that Rihanna was doing quite well for recent years. Bey suddenly went from being quite reserved to being very explicit - in language, sexual content, looks. Lbr in 2008 Bey would not be seen dead singing "bounce to the next dick boy" but these days she's comfortable singing things like that.

What do you think? Did Rihanna help Beyoncé to loosen up?

Beyoncé literally sang about her vagina on her second album.

absolutely. Rihanna really showed the girls that you don't have to be prim and proper all the time to be a star :clap3: 

I can see the influence to be honest, but it's not like Bey did it just because Rih have done that - maybe partially she felt like she would have tried it, but that's it.

No

But Rih obviously did inspire her to do all these quick lil' hits

I think she was, tbh. Maybe not to a HUGE extend, but I feel like Rihanna challenged her to kick it up a notch.

Bey's first ever DC single was about ****ing. So probably not. 

6 minutes ago, Javan said:

absolutely. Rihanna really showed the girls that you don't have to be prim and proper all the time to be a star :clap3: 

Beyonce is still prim and proper in her personal life. While her work is still (tastefully) sexually explicit. Like has been the case for 20 years. Nothing changed.

Yes because Beyoncé debuted in 2013. Beyoncé, the biggest new pop girl. Already touring stadiums 4 years in.

The Disney girls are QUAKING!! 

4 minutes ago, cypriotpcdfan said:

I think she was, tbh. Maybe not to a HUGE extend, but I feel like Rihanna challenged her to kick it up a notch.

Precisely

5 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

No

But Rih obviously did inspire her to try all these quick lil' hits

Fixed :cm: 

OT: yes.

10 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Beyoncé literally sang about her vagina on her second album.

yas a bop

So we are going to act like Bey hasnt been urban her whole career? And that Rihanna’s good girl gone bad image was manufactured as a way to separate her from Beyoncé? 

Rihanna was more pop than Beyoncé and urban radio didn’t even embrace her as much before. Check the BET awards lol 

6 minutes ago, Kassi said:

Beyonce is still prim and proper in her personal life. While her work is still (tastefully) sexually explicit. Like has been the case for 20 years. Nothing changed.

Before self titled Beyonce was sexual but it was glamour, it wasn't edgy. Compare the aesthetic of flawless to diva. 

How old are you? Everyone who knows Bey knows she's always been that way. You're so delusional if you really think this. I actually hope you're trolling.

The sad thing is that the Navy will play along.

That’s a reach. 

14 minutes ago, Daydream said:

I think when everyone first saw that they thought it was a Rihanna song/video.

No they didn't.

no, bey has been serving sex appeal and explicit lyrics her whole career

you just weren’t paying attention because she wasn’t making pop music like rihanna was :skull: 

Just now, Javan said:

Before self titled Beyonce was sexual but it was glamour. Compare the aesthetic of flawless to diva. 

The entire industry shifted to a more urban sound/aesthetic, that is not Rihanna's doing. Beyoncé has explicitly sung about sex since the beginning of her career. No matter how desperately the Navy want to credit Beyoncé's career to their fave, it's just not realistic.

Yes Beyonce knew she had to conform to be more like the Queen of pop 

1 minute ago, RomanNavy said:

Yes Beyonce knew she had to conform to be more like the Queen of pop 

Yeah sure jan