Atheist kicked off the Egyptian TV show

58 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Rafael C said:

You literally said nothing? Gave me no argument to prove it? I'm open to evidence. But I don't really see how an omnipotent and omniscient being who precedes time and space, and created EVERYTHING that we empirically know of, but yet have no evidence of such a being doing it, is reconciliable with the scientific method. Science goes by reason and evidence, religion goes by feelings (no matter how much philosophers of religion have tried to rationalize it). God cannot exist because you feel that he might, he exists or he does not. And there's no evidence for such. Therefore, treated as a theory of creation, it has no validity in the scientific community.

Because I'm not here to debate the existence of God. I just want to stress the fact that there exists a clear line of demarcation between science and religion (and other non-empirical systems of knowledge like metaphysics) that so many people engaging in religious debates like to break all the time just to support their unscientific positions using science. Atheists think science is on their side and supports their position that God does not exist due to God's apparent lack of evidence. That's not how science works.

Science doesn't concern itself about God since God completely falls outside the scope of science. God is a subject of metaphysics which, by definition, is "beyond physics." The same thing applies to other questions about ultimate reality such as the existence of objective morality, the multiverse, the afterlife, even contradicting views about reality like the debate between realism vs. idealism, monism vs. dualism, free will and determinism. These things are not addressed by science AT ALL since the scientific requirement of testability excludes them from scientific consideration. And something being excluded from science (which is virtually the entirety of metaphysics and ontology) doesn't mean it is at odds with science. You seem to suggest that science is atheistic. You're wrong. Science does not take a position on things which it cannot test. Science is the study of observable reality. It becomes metaphysics when you try to go beyond that hence why even discussions about scientific but untested ideas like the multiverse, String Theory, origins science and Pre-Big Bang physics in general are more metaphysical than scientific. Any claim of knowledge that there is no god is making the same claim of metaphysical knowledge that there is a god. Science can only make claims regarding the truth of empirically testable ideas. It makes no claims regarding the truth of any empirically untestable or untested idea. Science is not about negation.

Also, to say that God is purely based on faith or emotion is to completely ignore the rich philosophic discourses in the West from the time of Plato and Aristotle to Plotinus in classical antiquity to Avicenna to Anselm and Aquinas in the Middle Ages, not to mention the earlier theistic logical arguments in Hindu philosophy. God is a metaphysical theory. Metaphysics involves a certain level of philosophical reasoning and rational investigation to come to its conclusions. Rationality is purely based on logic and sound judgment, not evidence. God is not based on evidence but to say that it is only based on emotion is flat out wrong.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:46 PM, R!ck said:

Egypt is turning backwards and more intolerant everyday, attacking christians, atheists, agnostics and everyone that is not muslim, disgusting. :biblio: 

Stop with the lies, christians are absolutely fine and there are 10 million of them

33 minutes ago, butterflysupreme said:

No i’m not.

then you're free to educate yourself before accusing others of lying.

On 3/8/2018 at 8:12 AM, Communion said:

They do this because atheists (amongst others) are oppressed by religious people. Atheists wouldn’t have to sway out of their lane if religious people didn’t sway out of theirs and use their religion to systematically discriminate. :skull:

This will be #xposed when we have out first openly proud Atheist (read: first openly proud POPULAR) presidential candidate. 

10 hours ago, madmen said:

then you're free to educate yourself before accusing others of lying.

Ikr? this butterflysupreme guy is a complete fool and ignorant. :biblio: 

what an articulate brave respectful young man

xIZPIAg.gif