• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DELE2125

• Starkboy

• QueenofCopyPaste

• fridayteenage

On 6/25/2018 at 7:38 AM, Lennox. said:

Why is it that most Country-Crossover songs released within the past 20 years, at least, have peaked at #2 on the BB Hot 100?

"Meant To Be; Need You Now; You Belong With Me; Breathe" etc. Then, of course, their are those ala. "Body Like A Backroad; Before He Cheats" which charted in the lower top ten but had magnificent longevity. 

I believe Lonestar's "Amazing" was the last Country-Crossover hit to top the Hot 100 (2000), but didn't they have separate versions of the same song? The Country-original and another with much brighter Pop/Rock production that Mainstream Top 40 played more?

Actually, Amazed had three non-Country versions.  There was the original AC mix and the Power Rock Ballad versions of the song that Lonestar put on the Cassingle/CD Single, of which the label shipped just over 500k.  However, there was a Rhythmic remix 101.9 FM in Montgomery, AL played of Amazed that was not on any single configuration.  Also, in late 1999-much of 2000, there was a Rhythmic remix of "Smooth" that was not on any of the US singles (I think Smooth was the last single to sell 1.5 M physical copies).  And while Smooth stalled in the 20s on BB's Rhythmic Chart, it had a lengthy chart run.  However, an imported maxi-single from Germany did include Smooth remixes.  I just wish Santana's label had issued 500k of maxi-singles with the Rhythmic remix.  If so, I know that Smooth would've been the last physical single to sell 2 M copies.

6 minutes ago, brianc33710 said:

Actually, Amazed had three non-Country versions.  There was the original AC mix and the Power Rock Ballad versions of the song that Lonestar put on the Cassingle/CD Single, of which the label shipped just over 500k.  However, there was a Rhythmic remix 101.9 FM in Montgomery, AL played of Amazed that was not on any single configuration.  Also, in late 1999-much of 2000, there was a Rhythmic remix of "Smooth" that was not on any of the US singles (I think Smooth was the last single to sell 1.5 M physical copies).  And while Smooth stalled in the 20s on BB's Rhythmic Chart, it had a lengthy chart run.  However, an imported maxi-single from Germany did include Smooth remixes.  I just wish Santana's label had issued 500k of maxi-singles with the Rhythmic remix.  If so, I know that Smooth would've been the last physical single to sell 2 M copies.

Interesting.

What was the last Physical single to sell 1M copies?

I presume it was one of the early Idol-winners singles so, perhaps, Kelly Clarkson's 'A Moment Like This' or Clay Aiken's 'This Is The Night' in 2002/2003 respectively?

As for non-Idol singles, perhaps Nickelback's 'How You Remind Me'?

:celestial5:

Edited by Lennox.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:41 PM, potent said:

Crossover hits can rarely go #1 because their AirPlay peaks at different formats don’t align. But it also causes them to have great longevity and a better hot 100 performance overall than most #1 hits (Need You Now was #2 for 2010, only behind Tik Tok, and Breathe was the #1 ranked song of its year despite never going #1 on the hot 100, see also alternative crossovers like Radioactive and Ho Hey

Yeah.  Body Like A Back Road was actually picked up at Mainstream Radio before his label promoted the song to T40/HAC/AC.  But, despite its historically-slow decent down the BB CAC, Country still began to decrease airplay before it peaked in the Top 11 at all of the mainstream formats.  Of course, had Hunt actually filmed a real video of the song, Back Road might've hit #1.  Hunt would have at least gone Top 3.  But, finishing the chart year at #8 when it only peaked weekly at #6.

Just now, Lennox. said:

Interesting.

What was the last Physical single to sell 1M copies?

I presume it was one of the Idol singles so, perhaps, Kelly Clarkson's 'A Moment Like This' or Clay Aiken's 'This Is The Night' in 2002/2003 respectively?

As for non-Idol singles, perhaps Nickelback's 'How You Remind Me'?

:celestial5:

Actually, Madonna's "Music" was the last single to sell over 1 M copies (around 1.15 M).  This was aided by an uncut DVD version of Music.  Aiken's song went Platinum, but stopped short of 950 k.  

Nickelback's song sold well for about five weeks until the limited number of How You Remind Me singles sold out.  The song had reached #3 on airplay alone, so the label issued a limited-edition single for the song to get it to #1 weekly, and for 2002.  I think Remind spent 3 weeks at #1, and 5 wks in the Top 5.  By the time the singles had sold out, Nickelback was so strong in airplay (Active Rock, Alternative, T40, and HAC) that it spent like 2 months at #2 after 4 wks at #1.  I think Remind was the #1 T 40 YE airplay song of 2002, and Linkin Park's In The End was #2 song at T 40 too.  So, Rock WAS indeed big at T 40 early in the 2000s.  By 2010, (2009 with Second Chance was the last T 3 Active Rock hit at T 40), mainstream radio stopped playing Rock songs. 

Remember that some peoples idea of a song being "everywhere" means their own urban bubble. Thats not everywhere in the real world. Its a specific demograph.

Itunes WW

1. Calvin harris/Dua - One kiss

2. Clean bandit - Solo

Clean bandit dont get the attention they deserve. Still churning out those global smashes years later no matter what singer they use.

16 minutes ago, Rauliwt said:

rip itunes :skull:

Wasn't it only for like 12 hours though?

1 hour ago, marsblyr said:

Wasn't it only for like 12 hours though?

Yes it was.

7 hours ago, Rauliwt said:

3 Florida Georgia Line Simple :eek:

It takes FGL to dethrone themselves on Hot Country Songs chart.

@Kworb no sales estimates this week? :frown:

1 hour ago, umich said:

SAD! discounted.

It seems his label wants that 3rd week at #1.

iTunes US

14, 168, 189. Drake - Nice For What

20. Drake - Nonstop

25. Drake - Don't Matter To Me (feat. Michael Jackson)

27. Drake - In My Feelings

41. Drake - Emotionless

44. Drake - Talk Up (feat. JAY-Z)

51. Drake - Elevate

61. Drake - Summer Games

65, 88, 261. Drake - God's Plan

66. Drake - Jaded

68. Drake - Mob Ties

76. Drake - Can't Take a Joke

82. Drake - That's How You Feel

84. Drake - Survival

89, 126, 1220. Drake - I'm Upset

91. Drake - 8 Out Of 10

94. Drake - Blue Tint

102. Drake - After Dark (feat. Static Major & Ty Dolla $ign)

133. Drake - Peak

137. Drake - Finesse

148. Drake - Sandra's Rose

163. Drake - March 14

166. Drake - Final Fantasy

173. Drake - Is There More

296. Drake - Ratchet Happy Birthday

DMTM, Summer Games and 8 Out of 10 are under Hot Tracks. 

wow at Nonstop being so high already without any push.

Just now, theweekend said:

Who’s that Queen Naija which song sits at #3 at this moment on iTunes?

she's a youtuber. the song is actually really, really good. i would check it out if i were you!

2 minutes ago, alexis said:

she's a youtuber. the song is actually really, really good. i would check it out if i were you!

Wow. I’m already listening to it. It's very good and catchy. Boo’d Up wig isn’t safe!!!!!

51 minutes ago, theweekend said:

Wow. I’m already listening to it. It's very good and catchy. Boo’d Up wig isn’t safe!!!!!

She’s definitely gonna blow soon, her last song debuted top 50 on Billboard.

iTunes US

4. Drake - Nonstop

5. Drake - Don't Matter To Me (feat. Michael Jackson)

7. Drake - In My Feelings

9. Drake - Talk Up (feat. JAY-Z)

13. Drake - Emotionless

18. Drake - Elevate

19, 80, 180. Drake - Nice For What

25. Drake - Summer Games

26. Drake - Mob Ties

35. Drake - Jaded

37. Drake - Can't Take a Joke

49. Drake - That's How You Feel

50, 119, 1089. Drake - I'm Upset

52. Drake - 8 Out Of 10

54. Drake - Survival

59. Drake - Blue Tint

66. Drake - After Dark (feat. Static Major & Ty Dolla $ign)

75. Drake - Sandra's Rose

82, 105, 117. Drake - God's Plan

89. Drake - Peak

93. Drake - Finesse

95. Drake - March 14

101. Drake - Final Fantasy

109. Drake - Is There More

182. Drake - Ratchet Happy Birthday

lol some random You tuber keeping drake off top spot.

QXeh.gif

He only has one song in UK top 25. The reject MJ song at #13.

Edited by Rentboy

I knew Nonstop would be the top song

I rock with it heavy

Alessia Cara - Growing Pains        5k (first week)  1k  -69%

That's what I call bombing :deadbanana4: 

Edited by Lein

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.