iTunes Discussion

Kworb

I noticed that "Meant To Be" has tied Sam Hunt's "Body Like A Back Road" as the most days (191) in the Top Ten on Kworb's sales chart. And MTB just got another discount. Given its week totals almost perfectly aligning with BB's 2018 CY, its hard to imagine any other non #1 song ranking higher than MTB. Drake is way out in front, and he's songs are slipping so slow down the chart that MTB can't outlast them.  It looks like MTB will pass Rockstar and Look Alive, but NICE FOR WHAT will jump MTB.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DELE2125

• Starkboy

• QueenofCopyPaste

• fridayteenage

If (a big if) the Biebs song is great it’s gonna be the song of the summer by default. At the same point last year we had Despacito, I’m the one, unforgettable, shape of you and Wild Thoughts, is it just me or the biggest songs right now are much weaker?

36 minutes ago, Lein said:

If (a big if) the Biebs song is great it’s gonna be the song of the summer by default. At the same point last year we had Despacito, I’m the one, unforgettable, shape of you and Wild Thoughts, is it just me or the biggest songs right now are much weaker?

Right now we have just Girls Like You :doc:

Where is the DJ Khaled/Bieber song? Is it coming today?

Its scary looking down the itunes chart and not seeing any huge smashes from recent months. Looking back at past years you'd probably see several by now. Music seems to be in a sorry state. And big stars are releasing so you cant blame that..

Maroon 5's latest single is the first proper seller in a while. too bad I think it's a bad song.

Demi is doing really great. :clap3: 

13. Post Malone - Better Now

doing great on iTunes too. a smash

23. Back To You

She will never release an album at this rate :dies: 

14 minutes ago, YR. said:

23. Back To You

She will never release an album at this rate :dies: 

She was in an interview when Bad Liar came out bragging about refusing to listen the label to release something upbeat. With Bad Liar and Fetish bombing the upbeat song has to be Back To You which it’s stalling already.

So yeah goodbye album.

Edited by Lein

1 minute ago, Lein said:

She was in an interview when Bad Liar came out bragging about refusing to listen the label to release something upbeat. With Bad Liar and Fetish bombing the upbeat song has to be Back To You which it’s stalling already.

So yeah goodbye album.

She's not connecting with the US audience anymore and everything she accomplished with Revival is gone. There were so many bad decisions in a roll, I think it's all her fault

On 6/22/2018 at 8:42 AM, Rentboy said:

Its scary looking down the itunes chart and not seeing any huge smashes from recent months. 

No Tears Left To Cry is #5. :celestial5:

12 Ella Mai - Boo'd Up

0.4370  0.3114

promo impact

On 6/22/2018 at 3:43 AM, Lein said:

I fully agree. Songs may have great longevity, but their power is nowhere near Uptown Funk. Despacito, Shape Of You, and Closer are the biggest hits since UF. Had Hello had more than three weeks time before 25, Hello would've probably gone into the T 5 of the decade. 

On 6/22/2018 at 3:43 AM, Lein said:

It feels that way, however songs like I Like It, Nice For What, Boo’d Up, etc. are EVERYWHERE right now. They’re not minuscule little hits. Even God’s Plan still being in the H100 T10 is fairly warranted because, much like SOY last year, it still has a strong presence despite the January release.

I’d also like to think the variety of genres makes them seem “weaker” too. Those songs you’ve listed were all over Pop radio and are particularly formulaic in some shape. While the current H100 T10 are at best T20 on pop radio (ILI is about to top the chart at #20 on T40, NFW 7wks At #1, #12) or not being played at all. So you’re hearing them less, and they’ve gone and become extremely popular in other metrics and other means of consumption to be the top players this Summer.

Honestly songs like Unforgettable, I’m the One, even Shape of You are so forgettable in the end. While I feel like moments like NFW, I Like It, Boo’d Up will trascend to classics for their time. Even Despacito was only a smash due to Bieber & disappeared after its reign.

Edited by Rico Shameless v2

Did Ella Mai get the only boost from the BET awards? :deadbanana2: 

This is Ella Mai's only chance to reach a new peak on the Hot 100 before the new rules take over

Ella Mai - Boo'd Up

On 22/06/2018 at 8:42 AM, brianc33710 said:

I noticed that "Meant To Be" has tied Sam Hunt's "Body Like A Back Road" as the most days (191) in the Top Ten on Kworb's sales chart. And MTB just got another discount. Given its week totals almost perfectly aligning with BB's 2018 CY, its hard to imagine any other non #1 song ranking higher than MTB. Drake is way out in front, and he's songs are slipping so slow down the chart that MTB can't outlast them.  It looks like MTB will pass Rockstar and Look Alive, but NICE FOR WHAT will jump MTB.

Why is it that most Country-Crossover songs released within the past 20 years, at least, have peaked at #2 on the BB Hot 100?

"Meant To Be; Need You Now; You Belong With Me; Breathe" etc. Then, of course, their are those ala. "Body Like A Backroad; Before He Cheats" which charted in the lower top ten but had magnificent longevity. 

I believe Lonestar's "Amazing" was the last Country-Crossover hit to top the Hot 100 (2000), but didn't they have separate versions of the same song? The Country-original and another with much brighter Pop/Rock production that Mainstream Top 40 played more?

42 minutes ago, Green said:

This is Ella Mai's only chance to reach a new peak on the Hot 100 before the new rules take over

Ella Mai - Boo'd Up

What are the new rules?

37 minutes ago, biomind101 said:

What are the new rules?

Paid streaming will count more than free streaming on the Hot 100

Both versions of I Like It at promo and rising

This will blow up

4 hours ago, Green said:

Paid streaming will count more than free streaming on the Hot 100

maybe we'll get better song charting in the top 10 then :clap3:

6 hours ago, Lennox. said:

Why is it that most Country-Crossover songs released within the past 20 years, at least, have peaked at #2 on the BB Hot 100?

"Meant To Be; Need You Now; You Belong With Me; Breathe" etc. Then, of course, their are those ala. "Body Like A Backroad; Before He Cheats" which charted in the lower top ten but had magnificent longevity. 

I believe Lonestar's "Amazing" was the last Country-Crossover hit to top the Hot 100 (2000), but didn't they have separate versions of the same song? The Country-original and another with much brighter Pop/Rock production that Mainstream Top 40 played more?

Crossover hits can rarely go #1 because their AirPlay peaks at different formats don’t align. But it also causes them to have great longevity and a better hot 100 performance overall than most #1 hits (Need You Now was #2 for 2010, only behind Tik Tok, and Breathe was the #1 ranked song of its year despite never going #1 on the hot 100, see also alternative crossovers like Radioactive and Ho Hey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.