Latinos start pre-Oscar protest; “Oscars so white”

255 posts in this topic

Dark XXX

The day before the Oscars, under darkening skies, more than a hundred Latinos demonstrated in Hollywood today to protest the “exclusion” of Hispanics from mainstream motion pictures.

It was their second protest in the weeks leading up to the Academy Awards, and organizers say that because the studios aren’t listening to their complaint, one of them may be singled out for a nationwide boycott.

“Because they have not been willing to talk to us, our next step will be to see which of the six major studios we will boycott nationwide,” Alex Nogales, president and CEO of the National Hispanic Media Coalition, told Deadline.

Behind him, the protesters called out each of the six studios by name, chanting “Oscars so white, enough is enough.”

The protest is part of NHMC’s ongoing efforts to increase positive media portrayals of Latinos and increase Latino employment in the film industry. Latinos make up 18% of the US population, but got only 3.1% of the speaking roles in major film from 2007-2016, according to a recent survey.

The NHMC held the first demonstration on February 5 to coincide with the Academy’s annual Oscar Nominees Luncheon.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/national-hispanic-media-coalition-oscar-protest-1202309472/

LoKoPaNdA

wow, good for them!

We're rooting for Guillermo Del Toro though :mandown: make a boycott exception for him 

Hector

As a dominican, I do want more hispanics to get more shine in the acting categories. Salma Hayek & Daniela Vega would have been good Best Actress contenders if their films only got more attention. Oscar Isaac for now looks like the closest to get an Oscar nom in the near future if he lands a really good role, as well as Penelope Cruz. 

Latinazza
4 minutes ago, M-P-B said:

:zzz:

1 minute ago, RoseGold said:

psm92pp.gif

Here come the racists :biblio:

---

Sounds good. It is about time for talented Latino, black, and Asian American actors to be recognized for their work :clap3:

perfectillusion
7 minutes ago, M-P-B said:

4 minutes ago, RoseGold said:

psm92pp.gif

????

OT: Good for them!

Wicked

I support this. Edgar Ramierez should be a lead actor in Hollywood right about now. Along with countless others. 

RoseGold
1 minute ago, Latinazza said:

Here come the racists :biblio:

---

Sounds good. It is about time for talented Latino, black, and Asian American actors to be recognized for their work :clap3:

Nah, I'm happy for yall. I just hope I can stop seeing "where's our black Panther" "where's our Girls Trip" type comments.

Digital
8 minutes ago, M-P-B said:

psm92pp.gif

If either of you had any balls you'd have flat out just said you dislike Hispanic people. FOH you're dismissed.

Wicked
3 minutes ago, Latinazza said:

It seems the Emmys is ahead of the curve in this regard, Oscars so outdated :celestial5: A (half) Asian man & a Latino man are early front runners for the miniseries categories. 

TaggedGalaxy

Do they not realize that most Latino's are White?

psm92pp.gif

RoseGold
1 minute ago, Digital said:

If either of you had any balls you'd have flat out just said you dislike Hispanic people. FOH you're dismissed.

I dislike lations trying to gain footing off the backs of black success in hollywood and off our hard work and struggle when there's so much anti black sentiment in latin culture. It rubs me the wrong way, it just does.

EriKills

I dislike lations trying to gain footing off the backs of black success in hollywood and off our hard work and struggle when there's so much anti black sentiment in latin culture. It rubs me the wrong way, it just does.

psm92pp.gif

RoseGold
Just now, EriKills said:

psm92pp.gif

Exactly. Oscars So White was created by black people. I guess we gotta do **** first for yall.

Digital
11 minutes ago, RoseGold said:

So let me get this straight: ATRL tells me for years that other minorities needs to start their own movements and not "piggyback" off of African-American movements because it isn't their job to vouch for other minorities. So, one of those minorities ends up making a movement (even if its minor and only related to the Oscars) and now that's a problem because of a ignorant stereotype you willingly choose to hold onto? Am I getting that right?

Again, FOH. No, actually, let me spell it out for you: F*CK OUT OF HERE. DIMISSED. This thread isn't for you, your movement or the types of people that share the same mentality as you. Your opinion is worth less than nothing. Hispanics will continue to attempt to improve opportunities for their own whether or not it rubs you the wrong, right, left, north and or south.

Exactly. Oscars So White was created by black people. I guess we gotta do **** first for yall.

Oh, so the phrase is what you feel you have some sort of ownership of. You sound like a human argument against same-sex marriage.

Latinazza
3 minutes ago, Wicked said:

It seems the Emmys is ahead of the curve in this regard, Oscars so outdated :celestial5: A (half) Asian man & a Latino man are early front runners for the miniseries categories. 

They always seem to be more inclusive. Hopefully one day the Academy Awards and GGs catch up. 

3 minutes ago, RoseGold said:

This sort of mentality is what keeps minority communities split. The white supremacists have been successful in their divide and conquer strategies.

As a black woman who has one Latino parent I always have such a hard time trying to understand this sort of attitude (and the false blanket generalizations --including the one above yours claiming that Latinos are regarded or treated as "white"). Just because you may have had an unpleasant anecdotal experience with a [email protected] individual that doesn't make the millions of other Latinos in the U.S. racist or opportunists. Your comment merely makes you come across as hateful and foolish. But you do you, hon.

EriKills
Just now, RoseGold said:

So because black people “did it first” Latinos are excluded from wanting more representation as well? 

Im THANKFUL for the black movement being successful because it’s opening doors for other minorities’ inclusion. What’s so wrong about that? Like I seriously do not understand anyone would see this as OFFENSIVE. Quit playing victim about everything:dies:

Wicked
14 minutes ago, RoseGold said:

We have black brothers and sisters that are also apart of the Latino community that feel half of their identity ignored in Black American media.  They can start the movement. POC solidarity is messy and will never fully work, partly because of the anti-black attitudes that are across many different communities you mentioned but also for other reasons. I don't think there was anything in the original article to make you post this. 

andresg770

I'm saving my outrage for when "Remember Me" inevitably (and unjustly) loses Best Original Song to either that song from The Greatest Showman or the one from Call Me By Your Name  :devil:

At least they're actually letting Natalia Lafourcade sing at the ceremony, unlike with the song from The Motorcycle Diaries...  :biblio: