RuPaul won't allow Trans women to compete on Drag Race

410 posts in this topic

Moella

In a new interview with the Guardian, RuPaul stood firm on his stance that trans women and bio-queens are unwelcome on Drag Race. After explaining that drag's political power lies in the dissonance of "men dressing up as women," Ru was asked if he'd allow a "biological woman" to compete on the show.

“Drag loses its sense of danger and its sense of irony once it’s not men doing it, because at its core it’s a social statement and a big f-you to male-dominated culture," RuPaul tells Guardian. "So for men to do it, it’s really punk rock, because it’s a real rejection of masculinity.” When asked if trans women can be drag queens, he brings up season nine contestant Peppermint, who was the first out trans woman to compete on the show. “Mmmm. It’s an interesting area. Peppermint didn’t get breast implants until after she left our show; she was identifying as a woman, but she hadn’t really transitioned.”

The interviewer goes on to ask if RuPaul would allow a trans woman who was actively transitioning to compete. “Probably not. You can identify as a woman and say you’re transitioning, but it changes once you start changing your body. It takes on a different thing; it changes the whole concept of what we’re doing. We’ve had some girls who’ve had some injections in the face and maybe a little bit in the butt here and there, but they haven’t transitioned.”

These statements go to show how antiquated RuPaul's conceptions of trans identity and the queering of gender really are. For someone who is deservedly lauded as an icon of gender****ery, the fact that RuPaul still sees drag as a boys' club is disappointing, not to mention the fact that he reduces trans identity to whether or not a person has had surgery. The notion that the only true power to be found in an art form that has expanded so much since RuPaul came up seems insulting in the face of the incredible female artists — both cisgender and trans — who are doing drag today, largely thanks to the influence of Drag Race.

x

Thoughts?

Petty Bourgeoisie

I agree with Ru. :cm:

Communion
3 minutes ago, Hector said:

This is false. Peppermint was on just last year. 

He says he didn't consider Peppermint a woman physically. He says he wouldn't allow trans women deep into their transition to compete.

Anyway, I can see his point on bio queens, but because cishet women don't experience the same oppression LGBT people have, which is what created their community, which drag is a product of.

But his views on trans women are very transmisogynistic and gross. He's had these views for awhile though. He basically froze out Courtney and blocked her for calling the show out on the she**** gate incident. Same with Carmen.

jonnysands91

Don't really see the problem here with what he's said. If people are identifying as trans women then they're not really dressing up as women for entertainment, which is what RPDR is. So doing drag is quite a step back for them as far as transitioning is concerned and I think it opens them up to a lot of stigma. 

stophittingmedad

this is actually a really interesting topic. im not sure how i feel about it. i dont think i agree with that fact that Ru can kind of dictate who or who can not do drag because essentially drag is also a commentary on femininity which women, both bio and trans, are a part of so they should be able to compete as well. but it would really change the face of the show so idk 

Jukebox

There aren’t too many trans and biologically female queens who are at the level of recognition right now so outright disallowing them is a bit unnecessary. 

I get that it sort of goes beyond the premise of the show and it could lead to some having an unfair advantage over the others (e.g. having breasts, feminised face) but I think Peppermint did a good job when she was on it and if there ever are any of those types of queens who are on the level of being casted on the show, then surely it just means Ru will have to up her casting game up, more polished queens who can compete with that advantage. 

Bey'Knight

I agree with him. They can do drag all they want. It doesn’t have to be on Ru’s show. His platform His rules. 

Obsession

It's very transphobic towards trans women and his point doesn't stand because isn't it the ultimate **** you to gender stereotypes to have someone who was born with biologically male sex organs who identifies and is working towards physically appearing to be female? 

I can get behind the bio queen statement because then it's just someone with biologically female sex organs wearing an exaggerated form of femininity and there's no real comment on gender being made there. 

perfectillusion

Uhh what about Monica? Peppermint wasnt the first

Bad Things
1 minute ago, Bey'Knight said:

I agree with him. They can do drag all they want. It doesn’t have to be on Ru’s show. His platform His rules. 

This.

robotdanger

I completely agree. The show is meant as a way to showcase to the world how passionate some men are about dressing up as women, and to defy the societal standards of masculinity. It only makes sense that he accepts male contestants.

scenekiller
2 minutes ago, Bey'Knight said:

This is what it boils down to tbh. And I agree with him completely.

Cloudy

I agree with it. Doesn't mean they cannot be drag queens outside of the show

Communion
1 minute ago, perfectillusion said:

Uhh what about Monica? Peppermint wasnt the first

I think there was tea that Jiggly was on estrogen doing her season too. 

Trans women have been doing drag as long as cis gay men have. The coalition of gay men-trans women made drag what it is today. It's just as much a product of many trans women's culture as it is for men gay men's, which makes Ru look... silly and idiotic. :skull:

Jacobdaniel

It's really sad to see such an iconic queer figure hold some transphobic views.

Surgery or not, Peppermint was always a woman. It's upsetting that Ru wouldn't consider her one until she started physically transitioning.

I sincerely hope queens like Peppermint  and Sasha Velour, whose drag shows a deeper understanding of gender than Ru's, are able to reach out to Ru and educate her on queer gender identity.

Drag is literally everything. And anyone can do drag: gays, straights, cis men, cis women, trans men and trans women. The whole point of drag is that it has no limits. The second we start putting things into boxes of what can and cannot be considered drag is when the art from loses its essence.

LetsParty

As it should be, it is a show for drag queens, ie men dressed in drag, not women (which inclused trans women) in drag

BoyToySoldier

Nothing wrong here. It's drag, the whole concept is to dress as the opposite gender.

velocity

I don't have a problem with not having them on drag race because it would make judging more difficult but his general dismissal of trans and bio queens irks me a lot