Troye wanted to play Timothee's role in CMBYN

154 posts in this topic

nostalgia

Singer-songwriter Troye Sivan is set to bring a troubling aspect of the queer experience to the big screen this fall in “Boy Erased.” The movie, in which Sivan acts alongside Lucas Hedges, Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe, is based on author Garrard Conley’s experiences with “conversion therapy,” a harmful and scientifically discredited practice that claims to change people’s sexual orientation through counseling.

But there’s one movie role that Sivan ― who is no stranger to incorporating LGBTQ themes into his music and performances ― would’ve loved to play: Elio, the lovelorn protagonist of 2017′s Oscar-nominated gay romance, “Call Me by Your Name.” 

“It was such a beautiful book and movie,” Sivan told Pop Crush in a Feb. 22 interview. “I really feel like that was the first time, pretty much ever, that I’ve looked at a character and been like, ‘I 100 percent relate to that person.’”

Sivan said his connection to the character was aesthetic, too, “even down to his body type and the way that he looks.” 

“I look at his body and I’m like, ‘That’s my body.’ Like skinny, small little nipples, pale,” he added. “Like everything down to the nipples, it’s me.” 

Rest assured, however: Sivan is not bitter that another young star landed the part ― and earned an Oscar nomination for his efforts. 

Mr. Adele

At least it would've been an actually LGBT person playing a LGBT character :michael:

This disgusting trend of straight and cis men playing gay and transgender people in movies needs to end asap

Trent W
1 minute ago, Mr. Adele said:

At least it would've been an actually LGBT person playing a LGBT character :michael:

This disgusting trend of straight and cis men playing gay and transgender people in movies needs to end asap

A lot of gay men get to play straight characters, I think this logic doesn’t go anywhere tbh.

OT: Both are so interchangeable, they have the same body, but Troye annoys me more for some reason.

Mimie

Suddenly I'm ok with straights playing 99% of gay characters.

Dessy

And the gays would've dragged him for it. Transparent tbh. 

Mr. Adele
Just now, Trent W said:

A lot of gay men get to play straight characters, I think this logic doesn’t go anywhere tbh.

OT: Both are so interchangeable, they have the same body, but Troye annoys me more for some reason.

What? Do you enjoy gay actors not having a JOB because casting directors would rather get a straight actor? How about trans actors?

Also, barely any gay men play straight characters, its not even comparable. I myself can't even remember any openly gay actor that played a major straight role.

Trent W
1 minute ago, Mr. Adele said:

What? Do you enjoy gay actors not having a JOB because casting directors would rather get a straight actor? How about trans actors?

Also, barely any gay men play straight characters, its not even comparable. I myself can't even remember any openly gay actor that played a major straight role.

The thing is that they are “acting”, it feels unauthentic to give a gay man a gay role just because he is gay.

I have to agree with you that lgbt actors should have way more opportunities and play straight characters, that’s far more interesting than seeing a regular straight playing straight.

Vendi Vidi Vin
8 minutes ago, Mimie said:

Suddenly I'm ok with straights playing 99% of gay characters.

MTE.

Troye and Frankie Grande are the same annoying strain of extra white gay.

Quaithe
8 minutes ago, Mr. Adele said:

:rip:

Jet

They’re essentially the exact same person so I guess it wouldn’t make any difference

Mr. Adele
Just now, Trent W said:

The thing is that they are “acting”, it feels unauthentic to give a gay man a gay role just because he is gay.

I have to agree with you that lgbt actors should have way more opportunities and play straight characters, that’s far more interesting than seeing a regular straight playing straight.

Yeah sure, maybe they should let white blackface'd actors play black characters, because black actors would feel "too unauthentic" and not "acting"

PLEASE, give me a break

Trent W
Just now, Mr. Adele said:

Yeah sure, maybe they should let white blackface'd actors play black characters, because black actors would feel "too unauthentic" and not "acting"

PLEASE, give me a break

Sexual orientation and race are 2 completely different things, that analogy doesn’t make sense.

princedonte

I thought they were the same person. 

JesusORGod
3 minutes ago, Mr. Adele said:

PLEASE, give me a break

This post is sf stupid...omg...

Almighty Gaga

He only wants Armie to touch him. 

Mr. Adele
Just now, Trent W said:

Sexual orientation and race are 2 completely different things, that analogy doesn’t make sense.

Yes they absolutely are, but the analogy still makes total sense. Two things dont have to be the same for an analogy to make sense.

Just now, JesusORGod said:

This post is sf stupid...omg...

Sure hunty. Maybe try debating why its stupid instead of giving your hot take.

nostalgia
9 minutes ago, ChatshireCat said:

Can he even act?