Was the Hot 100 chart inaccurate '01-'05

EnjoyTheSilence

Was Billboards Hot 100 chart accurate around this time? 

around this time, single sales had COMPLETELY died out. The Hot 100 was basically the AirPlay Hot 100. As a result, there were only 8 #1 hits in 2002 (or 2003, I forgot). Many singles that seemed like huge hits completely flopped. One example would be Christina aguileras dirrty. Obviously the song was never big enough for a #1 chart position, and probably not even a top 10 position. But, it for sure felt bigger than a #48 peaking hit ?. TRL was huge at the time and had massive impact of teenagers and young adults. In my opinion, Billboard should've use stats from TRL. Obviously radio should've still been the main component, but TRL should've contributed a bit to the chart too. There were songs with music videos that were massive (dirrty) which meant the GP knew and was talking about the song, but completely flopped on the hot 100 because of poor AirPlay. Any thoughts?

DAMN I MEANT *innaccurate 

Edited by EnjoyTheSilence

Just now, EnjoyTheSilence said:

DAMN I MEANT *innacurate 

inaccurate* and can we no longer edit thread titles? :confused:  

Not to mention that before that era, Billboard allowed only commercial singles to chart. Billboard will always be inaccurate in some form or another and it will always have to try to play catch up when things change.

liberalmusiclover

No, because airplay was the dominant method of consumption for singles.

Yes.

It still pains me to know that songs like Torn and Don't Speak weren't allowed to chart due to the "no airplay only" rule. :deadbanana2:

It's not Billboard's fault nobody bought songs. How else was the Hot 100 supposed to be measured with if songs were selling 10 copies lol?

Some songs didn't deserve #1, and some did, but a good portion of the #1's during the period were huge (In Da Club, Yeah!, We Belong Together, Gold Digger, Hey Ya!, Crazy in Love, Hot in Herre, Dilemma, Lose Yourself, Drop It Like It's Hot, etc) and still have the impact of huge #1 hits today. You can never get it completely right.

The weighting of certain formats on radio was the problem if anything. Had they down-weight Urban/Rhythmic radio somewhat, then the charts would've been pretty accurate.

Yes.

Justice for slave 4 u  & Toxic

It was huge WW. But flop in the US :dancehall2:

The worst was the absurd rule that songs without a physical release couldn't chart on the Hot 100. It's why Don't Speak is one of the biggest songs of all time and never even charted.

I would've allowed album-only tracks on the Hot 100, but I also would've strengthened sales significantly vs airplay. Also, I would've tried to incorporate file sharing data, as that was an important and significant measure of song popularity from 1999-very early 2005.

27 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

The worst was the absurd rule that songs without a physical release couldn't chart on the Hot 100. It's why Don't Speak is one of the biggest songs of all time and never even charted.

No shade to whoever but what song is this? 

5 minutes ago, Rihbeyga said:

How can you not know this song? :biblio:

7 minutes ago, Rihbeyga said:

When/where are you from???

12 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

When/where are you from???

South Africa. And I'm 23?

And i don't know it. 

41 minutes ago, Letters From Adi said:

honey, you have no idea.

The 80s and 70s were far worse

http://at40fg.proboards.com/thread/2089/chart-manipulations

labels would pay to get a #1, sometimes songs with less points would be ranked higher.

And the labels forced a more rapid turnover of songs, in both sales and airplay, particularly by the mid 1980s, than was actually occurring in the market. This was reflected in late 1991, when BB changed from radio station playlists and retail reports to actually tracking both sales and airplay.

12 hours ago, iHype. said:

It's not Billboard's fault nobody bought songs. How else was the Hot 100 supposed to be measured with if songs were selling 10 copies lol?

Some songs didn't deserve #1, and some did, but a good portion of the #1's during the period were huge (In Da Club, Yeah!, We Belong Together, Gold Digger, Hey Ya!, Crazy in Love, Hot in Herre, Dilemma, Lose Yourself, Drop It Like It's Hot, etc) and still have the impact of huge #1 hits today. You can never get it completely right.

The weighting of certain formats on radio was the problem if anything. Had they down-weight Urban/Rhythmic radio somewhat, then the charts would've been pretty accurate.

Down weight Urban music why? It's what peeps were listening to in droves. Pop radio simply wasn't getting the listeners needed to maintain its influence.

Edited by Adonis

1 hour ago, Rihbeyga said:

My sentiments. "Don't speak is the biggest song ever". Where ? :dies:

5 minutes ago, jodyygang said:

It spent 16 weeks at number one on radio songs but never charted on the hot 100.

4 hours ago, jodyygang said:

In the US where it has the second most weeks at #1 airplay of all time. It also went #1 in most countries it charted. Where are YOU from?

Just now, PoisonPill said:

In the US where it has the second most weeks at #1 airplay of all time. It also went #1 in most countries it charted. Where are YOU from?

From the US where no one knows it :michael: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.