96 posts in this topic

Just finished my 2nd quarter of DC school. 12 more to go.

It's so great to gave a week off, but every time I finish a quarter I just feel like studying more and more. I can't relax...Once I do finally relax it's hard for me to get back in it. I'll be lazy the first few weeks until midterms start approaching, which just isn't a good strategy grades-wise. 

this is how well my thesis writing is going so far :rip: 

law school here and suffering!

On 3/20/2019 at 4:38 AM, Phantom said:

Literature! 

So I don't think I can sidestep the GRE lol

Oh slay, I'm in an English PhD program. :gaycat5: Did you apply this year? (And yes, you have to take the regular GRE. Most schools don't care about the Literature subject test anymore, but a few do.)

12 hours ago, LoKoPaNdA said:

Yeah I ended up at WashU lol. I like it a lot.

The only ones I wish I could've attended as well are Indiana cos god their program is incredible and Rutgers cause the stipend is pretty juicy. But the former offered too little money and the latter didn't offer to pay for a visit and it's a gamble to move somewhere without knowing the area.

I grew up literally two blocks from the Rutgers New Brunswick campus. The area is OK.... but I would only go there because it's an excellent school, not because of the charms of the area.

2 hours ago, Auraeolux said:

law school here and suffering!

Same.

So I got a B on my paper nnn. Now I have to rush and do the edits that she suggested before the midnight deadline for the conference I-

She’s a tough grader and was very honest with my writing and I really appreciate it, but whew the pressure :jonny5: 

On 3/20/2019 at 2:15 AM, Gabriel said:

Thats amazing! I took the internship route and am wrapping up at an Embassy in my city.

No PhD for me though haha- what's your paper on? Mine is about soft power and public diplomacy on foreign publics? 

For my master thesis I'll do something regarding health & pharmaceutical policy. 

Anyone currently a law student in the US? I got questions. 

Does anyone have any advice to beef up my PA school essays. image0.jpg

Did any STEM PhD students get NSF?

Early decision for PA school is in less than 30 days and I can’t be bothered... still haven’t asked for LOR’s or written out my patient contact hours ( which is only a couple of months of experience  so I hope it suffices shsnsn)

Early decision for PA school is in less than 30 days and I can’t be bothered... still haven’t asked for LOR’s or written out my patient contact experience/hours ( which is only a couple of months of experience  so I hope it suffices shsnsn)

On 4/15/2019 at 6:55 PM, Shoto Todoroki said:

Does anyone have any advice to beef up my PA school essays. image0.jpg

Not sure if this is late or anything but I've learned incorporating anecdotes into your essay is a good way to make your personal statement unique. These admissions committees get hundreds of personal statements every application cycle and anything that'l help you stand out from the pack (in a positive way lol) will help. Beyond that, let as many eyes read your paper (friends, faculty, etc.). I knew two girls in my senior year that were great writers that helped me tweak my own personal statement so if you can find anyone like that, that'd also be good.

OT: Just about finished up with my Master's program. Two years just up and flew by :jonny2: Now I just need to finish this literature review and I'm done done :pukey:

On 5/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, Pink Matter said:

Not sure if this is late or anything but I've learned incorporating anecdotes into your essay is a good way to make your personal statement unique. These admissions committees get hundreds of personal statements every application cycle and anything that'l help you stand out from the pack (in a positive way lol) will help. Beyond that, let as many eyes read your paper (friends, faculty, etc.). I knew two girls in my senior year that were great writers that helped me tweak my own personal statement so if you can find anyone like that, that'd also be good.

OT: Just about finished up with my Master's program. Two years just up and flew by :jonny2: Now I just need to finish this literature review and I'm done done :pukey:

Thanks sis! And no you aren't late! applications don't close till the fall, but I want to get it done for early decision (which is a struggle). Thanks for the advice, and yeah I'l try to incorporate personal anecdotes of my experience but I don't have much patient contact hours and only been EMT for like a month :rip: so I'm stretching this **** out and of course talking about my previous occupation. What did you get your Masters in and what do you wanna do career wise?

2 hours ago, Shoto Todoroki said:

Thanks sis! And no you aren't late! applications don't close till the fall, but I want to get it done for early decision (which is a struggle). Thanks for the advice, and yeah I'l try to incorporate personal anecdotes of my experience but I don't have much patient contact hours and only been EMT for like a month :rip: so I'm stretching this **** out and of course talking about my previous occupation. What did you get your Masters in and what do you wanna do career wise?

Do you have a personal connection with the healthcare field outside of your volunteer experience/clinical experience? Like any immediate family members or relatives in the healthcare field? Ever been admitted to a hospital and had a great experience with a doctor/nurse/PT/PA/etc.? If not, you could lie about an experience on your personal statement :eli:. It's not like a resume where the schools can check to see if you volunteered somewhere or were employed by someone. I got my Masters in Basic Medical Sciences and want to be a doctor! I'm sort of in limbo at the moment but I'm hoping to hear some positive news soon!

Just graduated today with my MPH. I can’t believe I survived grad school. There were times where I thought I wouldn’t be able to make it. 

One more year left :jonny: 

Grad school really ****ing sucks. The professors are incompetent and teach us nothing but expect us to crank out surprise ten page papers. Also demanding 300 hours of unpaid interning (even if the agency offers to pay you the school forbids it). Such a ****ing scam just to have a career 

I'm a sophomore going into Junior year at the moment but I decided I want to get my Master's. Considering Stonybrook atm, may take classes there next summer to see if I like the campus.

Yeah, this quarter is so rough. Grad school is a bitch. :rip:

hi fellow 'smart' girlies

I honestly see why mental health is such an issue for grad students. It can be so rough if you don’t take care of yourself.