• Announcements

• Athens

Absolute 1.2 coming 2/28   02/20/2017

ATRL will be down at various times during the day on 2/27 to prepare a UI, functionality and bug fix update for 2/28. Absolute 1.2 adds post numbering, additional fields under post author including join date, more editor features, similar threads, an option to turn off avatars, an option to change the forum font from Rubik to Arial, new themes, more ATRL+ Beta features and more.    

Camila Cabello covers Billboard Magazine's March Issue

139 posts in this topic

Video interview: http://www.billboard.com/video/camila-cabello-on-her-new-music-and-singing-solo-exclusive-7693452

Full feature: http://features.billboard.com/camila-cabello-talks-solo-music-life-after-fifth-harmony/

On the "freedom" after leaving Fifth Harmony:

But Cabello, whose album is due this fall, already had fame, fortune and obsessive fans. The true gift, after five years of nonstop touring, recording and meet-and-greets with 5H, is the taste of freedom. “You know that quote, ‘In the silence, you find God?’ ” asks Cabello, who — in her lace choker, a holey white tee and a black marching band coat — looks like the petite (she’s 5-foot-2) commander of some fun and fashionable army. “I felt like I could hear everything my heart was telling me.”

On leaving Fifth Harmony: 

“The easiest route would be to shut my mouth, sing the songs, wear the clothes and keep going, you know?” says Cabello with a jittery laugh, weighing life in 5H against going it alone. “I mean, [we were] at the peak of our career. It’s definitely not the safe option.” But, she says, “I have it in my DNA. The way my mom raised me, it has always been: Don’t settle. Jump and hope you grow wings on the way down.” She flings her arms like she’s on a roller coaster. “I feel alive!”

On how she started songwriting:

“I would wake up super early,” says Cabello, “get off the bus, go to the hotel, put the TV on super loud — I didn’t want people to hear me f—ing yelling — then go into the bathroom, put my laptop on the toilet and sit on the floor and write all day.” So she was basically singing into the toilet? “Yep.”

On La La Land and relationship misfortune:

Romantically speaking, says Cabello, “I don’t have anything going on right now,” although she does let slip that “literally every boy I’ve liked has been a Scorpio.” (Rumormongers, take note: Mendes is a Leo.) And when we start talking about La La Land, she winds up telling an unbelievable story: “I love the movie because I’m such a hopeless romantic. It made me feel like I could meet anybody anywhere. Like, yesterday I asked my Uber driver for his number. Because we were actually talking about the movie and he was like, ‘I just came out of a relationship.’ He just sounded like he was a hopeless romantic. And I was like, ‘You know what? I’ll get his number.’ He never texted me back.” What? “I don’t know. Maybe it didn’t go through.”

Shawn Mendes thoughts on her solo career:

“It would take a big force to stop her from taking over the world,” says her friend Mendes, adding, “She was such a great writing partner. I barely had to speak and she knew exactly what I meant.”

A little on Camila's background:

Cabello took her first vacation in five years on Christmas, after her mother, Sinuhe, insisted she unplug with the family (including her dad, Alejandro, and 9-year-old sister, Sofia) for three weeks in Cancún. “The first four days were trippy,” says Cabello. “I was stressing about not stressing about something. Sometimes you’re afraid of the quiet. Like, go, go, go!”

Cabello was raised in Havana and, later, Mexico City. When she was 6, her folks told her they were going to Disney World. Instead, Camila and Sinu (as she’s called) emigrated legally from Mexico, spent a day in holding, took a 36-hour bus ride to Miami and moved in with a friend. Alejandro was forced to stay behind, but after a year-and-a-half of heartache, he got fed up and took the risk of crossing over. Sinu was an architect in Cuba but found work at a Marshalls, stocking shoes. Alejandro, when he arrived, washed cars at the mall. Today, they have a successful contracting company.

“My parents worked really hard,” says Cabello. “We always had periods where my dad would be out of a job. It was a constant flow of having money, losing everything and then finding a way to get it again. If we had food to eat, a roof over our heads and I was going to school, that was enough.” (Alejandro finally got his visa in 2016, and Cabello sent her parents to Jamaica on the honeymoon they had never had.)

On dealing with anxiety in the past:

In April 2016, I interviewed the members of Fifth Harmony for a Billboard cover story, and the chat quickly turned into a tear-drenched airing of grievances about the group’s toll on their private lives. The only one who didn’t cry was Cabello. “I was like, ‘Oh, my God, this is the saddest thing I’ve ever seen.’ I’m sorry about that,” she tells me this time around. Cabello wasn’t immune to the pressures, just on the mend, fighting anxiety with journaling, exercise, meditation and music. I remind her what she told me then — that she had recently been afraid of the things her brain might tell her.

“It’s so hard to hear that,” says Cabello, lowering her head. “It breaks my heart. It’s like I’m watching myself from another person’s perspective, like, ‘Damn, poor girl.’ ” She did finally cry after the turmoil with the group, in Miami with her parents and sister. And then, she says, “I went to the beach a lot. I listened only to Latin music. It reminds me of where I come from and that this [conflict] doesn’t have to be World War III. In Cuba, people are literally making rafts out of tires and sticks, throwing themselves into the ocean to find opportunity. That’s real ****. Not this.

Producers chime in:

“I never underestimated her talent, but I was not expecting her to have such a powerful vision,” says Andrew “Pop” Wansel, who’s known for his work with Kehlani and Alessia Cara, from the control room. “It’s a real collaboration,” chimes in co-producer Frank Dukes, who has worked with Drake and Travis Scott. “Sometimes it’s like a band just jamming.”

Billboard on what her music sounds like:

The trio has been honing a handful of songs that skillfully blend Cabello’s love for Rihanna’s ANTI(“I can loop it forever,” she says), the era of R&B-pop that includes Alicia Keys’ 2007 song “No One,” all things Shakira and, of course, Cuban music. They want to open the LP with a dusty, piano-clanging cut called “Havana” and preview an upbeat Caribbean heater that sounds like Sia planting a flag in “One Dance.” “Camila is an incredible songwriter,” says Epic Records chairman/CEO Antonio “L.A.” Reid, who (with Simon Cowell) assembled 5H for The X Factorand still has Cabello on his roster. “She is working overtime.”

Final thoughts:

If Cabello is anxious now, it doesn’t show. She seems proud of what 5H was — “We represented all different kinds of women coming together,” she says fondly — but is candid about what it wasn’t: “We didn’t write our records. We were interpreting somebody else’s story. Fifth Harmony is an entity or identity outside all of us, and I don’t think anybody felt individually represented by the sound — we didn’t make it.” 

C4ye9GUVUAA2W7v.jpg

C4ye9GUUEAExMDq.jpgC4yhctUWcAAYGbm.jpg

C4yiDFRXAAMRLod.jpg

07-8-cc-cov-67y-Camila-Cabello-i-2017-bi

05-5-5-yu-Camila-Cabello-07kld-c-o-2017-

06-tyqqqq-Camila-Cabello-kncbv17-2017-u-

09-ui8611-Camila-Cabello-z-2017-billboar

04-yy7-ty-56-1-Camila-Cabello-89hj011-20

03-46gzq-01-Camila-Cabello-ui61-2017-v-b

02-jkdln-89gbx-Camila-Cabello-0-xhu-2017

Let's hope the looks are better than that hideous Seventeen shoot. 

:biblio: I hope 5H gets this type of promo.

She looks wonderful

:gaycat4:

very sexual, i thought she left the group for that reason :cm:

3 minutes ago, jhn__ said:

Her PR team are terrible at keeping the story straight 

47 minutes ago, jhn__ said:

Source?

QUEEN 😍

Another day, another slay :gaycat5:

47 minutes ago, MonsterHigh said:

she said it herself she felt sexualized while being in the group

http://www.mtv.com/news/2971037/camila-cabello-was-uncomfortable-being-sexualized-in-fifth-harmony/

47 minutes ago, jhn__ said:

Oh, you mean this interview that she did while still in Fifth Harmony?

Where does she say she was planning on leaving because of it?

bEWEOq2.jpg

She's not playing!!!!!

My queen on Billboard magazine. I'm so proud.

9 minutes ago, MonsterHigh said:

she said it herself she felt sexualized while being in the group

http://www.mtv.com/news/2971037/camila-cabello-was-uncomfortable-being-sexualized-in-fifth-harmony/

If you continue reading she explains that she joined the group when she was 15 and at the time did not feel ready/comfortable with the sexual undertones of a lot of their songs, which is actually consistent with her live rendition of Worth It. She never sang the 'I don't like like it too soft... not too much but maybe just enough" line. Now she is nearly 20 years old, and also explains there's nothing wrong with sexuality - that it's a form of expression. If anything going solo means she can express herself on her own terms and what she feels comfortable with as opposed to a group. She's really saying to younger audiences not to feel obligated to sexualize yourself if you're not ready or feel like you're too young.

Here's the rest of the quote many of you ignore and take out of context...

Cabello joined Fifth Harmony when she was just 15 years old, and she admitted that being in the public eye during her formative teenage years was extremely difficult for her.

“I feel like it’s been tricky because we’ve had to grow into ourselves while being in front of the world and while making songs that did have a lot of sexual undertones,” she said. Still, she added, “there’s nothing wrong with sexuality. If you have that inside, it’s just an expression of who you are. If you want to share that with people, that’s amazing.” The now-solo star ultimately left fans with some sage advice: “I think the thing that I would say to young women is, if you’re not ready for it, put your foot down.”

She's coming to PLAY!

Billboard cover without a ****ing debut single out :ahh: 

Oh shiiii... This is gonna be good, guys :jonny3: 

6 minutes ago, victoriagv said:

Oh, you mean this interview that she did while still in Fifth Harmony?

Where does she say she was planning on leaving because of it?

bEWEOq2.jpg

4 minutes ago, XXI. said:

If you continue reading she explains that she joined the group when she was 15 and at the time did not feel ready/comfortable with the sexual undertones of a lot of their songs, which is actually consistent with her live rendition of Worth It. She never sang the 'I don't like like it too soft... not too much but maybe just enough" line. Now she is nearly 20 years old, and also explains there's nothing wrong with sexuality - that it's a form of expression. If anything going solo means she can express herself on her own terms and what she feels comfortable with as opposed to a group. She's really saying to younger audiences not to feel obligated to sexualize yourself if you're not ready or feel like you're too young.

Here's the quote for reference that many of you omit it exists...

Cabello joined Fifth Harmony when she was just 15 years old, and she admitted that being in the public eye during her formative teenage years was extremely difficult for her.

“I feel like it’s been tricky because we’ve had to grow into ourselves while being in front of the world and while making songs that did have a lot of sexual undertones,” she said. Still, she added, “there’s nothing wrong with sexuality. If you have that inside, it’s just an expression of who you are. If you want to share that with people, that’s amazing.” The now-solo star ultimately left fans with some sage advice: “I think the thing that I would say to young women is, if you’re not ready for it, put your foot down.”

Was literally about to clock them but I'm glad y'all did :clap3: ATRL always runs with 5% of the information :deadbanana3:

It would be such a kii if she flops with the entire industry backing her up like this :gaycat5:

cant wait to see how little her first album sells

Come the **** through Queen

24 minutes ago, jhn__ said:

She felt sexualized in a forceful and wrong way while in the early stages of 5H. She was underage at the time and didn't like the way she was being told to look by older men and people on their team. She's exploring her sexuality in her own way and it's obviously more comfortable for

her to have her own limits and to explore herself at her own pace. But go off I guess?

OT: Can't wait. She's a ****ing star. :duca:

31 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

She felt sexualized in a forceful and wrong way while in the early stages of 5H. She was underage at the time and didn't like the way she was being told to look by older men and people on their team. She's exploring her sexuality in her own way and it's obviously more comfortable for

her to have her own limits and to explore herself at her own pace. But go off I guess?

OT: Can't wait. She's a ****ing star. :duca:

:clap3:

These fools think they making a point :toofunny2: 

I really hope the styling in these pictures is better this time around. I don't like the white thing she's wearing at first. The pool shoot looks incredible. Love the atmosphere. 

You can tell these photos are gonna be bad.