Drag Race All Stars | Our first (and last) ALL STAR!

Citrus

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Citrus

• Buddy!

• Vulnicura

• Tsareena

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator

giphy.gif

f0bEAUL.png

Episode 2 - Past but not Least Ball

Judges' Critiques

2014-04-22_11_58_41.gif

Carrie said...

Melanoma:  

Love how the hair and dress blend together in the cloud look. I think I like it more in theory than in practice; it would be so cute in a video game or something, but I don’t see it working that well IRL. The second look is pretty, but I think those children on the dress are not. There’s something about the big white swaths juxtaposed with the lace top section that feels off to me. They’re SO white. Don’t like the spotty face in the first look, but I like the second one. 

Pea:  

I like the thought behind the lust look, and the idea of doing a fully white dress for lust, since white is symbolic of innocence. But why don’t we see the bottom half, the shoe, etc? The second look is very visually appealing—and I love Ursula—but I’m seeing a few different colors, so I’m not sure it nails the runway theme. Since you had your pick of any runway theme, stretching the theme is a little frustrating. Overall, your entry feels less considered than the other girls. This is All Stars. Don't be lazy.

Carbon:  

The bone work in your Death look is AMAZING and probably my top toot of the week. I just love your aesthetic. The overall presentation is a bit cheapened by the Judgement look though, which is just so bland and kind of awkward. I wish there was more detail or color there; a white blouse with a gray robe thing just isn’t exciting me too much. I like the description of your Envy look, which looks like a Silent Hill enemy, but I have trouble seeing much beauty in a big maggot creature. This is an interesting look conceptually, but not something I want to see on a drag runway. I would like to see the back to see how the feathers come together. 

Gladys:  

Your monochromatic look is cute I guess, but much too simplistic for the most part. Clearly the big tree is not simple, but you used a very basic trumpet silhouette and even have the stereotypical long gloves to match. I like the flower detail on the dress, but then there’s also a flower in her hair, on her gloves, in her ears… It’s a bit much. The tree is interesting, but seems like it would definitely get in the way of the model, so I wish it was attached to her back instead of the front. With the Sally look, I appreciate that you avoided just taking Sally’s outfit and turned her patchwork skirt into the cape thing. Still reads a bit cosplay-like, but I like it and don’t care. I like the black bat thing on the front. 

Chanel:  

I appreciate the Neon Demon look from a theoretical standpoint… But also don’t find it aesthetically pleasing. It’s cohesive and put together well, but I think the studded belt top is ugly and I just don’t want to look at it again. I do really like the hair and heel. Fortunately, I like your Lord Infernicus look a lot better. It retains elements of your original look, but is a lot bolder and more interesting to me. The white diamonds in place of bones thing was cute. My only knock against it is the makeup, which feels like a bit much and is just slightly off from the rest of the outfit for me. And thanks for linking back to the post and reminding me of my hilarious story about Regina Spectre. Wow, my creativity! 

Stone: 

I appreciate the theatricality of your Pokemon trainer look. Thigh-high boots and also long gloves is interesting; is there a reason you’re barely showing any skin? Maybe your whole body has been burned? That’s an interesting story! I don’t see what that clown makeup has to do with a fire trainer look and would do a different face. I like the idea behind the demonic Mad Hatter (the detail of the bloody tea cup is cool), though I’m not sure I see the connection to it in the rest of the outfit. The actual outfit (cape and underwear thingy?) isn’t that memorable to me. For the next runway, let’s avoid boots. 

Colleen:  

I don’t like the hat for the executive look (it has an odd point), but I love the rest of the look. It’s quite simple, but well done. I could say this about both looks; they are very well drawn and presented (I love the cutout and photo background), and this clean and professional presentation is appealing, BUT the looks aren’t showing a ton of creativity, so I guess I’d like to see you taking more risks. Anyway, in the second look, I love the way the satin wrap connects at the wrist and the headpiece is a nice touch. 

*****:  

Incorporating snakes into your sphinx look is not non-literal, sis. It’s kind of predictable and then it’s a cute enough look, but doesn’t wow me and goes overboard with the snake details. I appreciate the bravery in the monochromatic look…. but I also want something less simple than this if you’re gonna be brave. I do like the look overall; my biggest concern other than the simplicity is the wig; it’s completely at odds with the severe, enigmatic nature of the rest of the look. 

Pixel:  

You showed off your creativity in some ways with your first look; I like the runway description and the severed head. But there’s no universe in which those heels go with that gown. The gown is gorgeous, naturally, but like Pea’s, it feels less considered than some of the others given how little you edited the overall look. The Egyptian runway is just a miss for me; it’s simple but too gaudy at the same time, the makeup and accessories are predictable, and it’s just too costumey. I appreciate the effort in finding all those pics to put together, but the final look feels cheap.

Aciid said...

Melanoma

Eye On The Sky: I'm on the fence about this look. I really like the volume and the fantasy of it, but if you put this in a realistic situation it would just look shapeless and like cotton wrapped around you with no shape. I like the wig, but the outfit just seems lazy to me. I'm a sucker for the clear boots, I honestly love the trend. I get where you were going with the makeup but again, it wasn't realized well. It just makes it seem like you have acne/spots and it looks really weird. Boot. 

Blazing Hot Bitches: There's not a single thing I like about this to be honest. The dress has a shape that is not interesting, which is fine, but you just plastered clashing textures over it and called it a day. Looks so flat and lacks detail. Using photoshop skills is commendable and things don't have to be perfect. I'm not judging technique and don't expect y'all to serve these amazing photo manipulations, but if your vision isn't being executed well it's a problem. The crown is okay I guess, not my favorite head piece, the hair is again fine but nothing extraordinary. I do like the make up and the mug you used for this though, the one savable thing. This is like knock off Dolce & Gabanna and lost all the luxury and glamour the brand brings to the table.  Boot. 

Pea Enculo

I'm just giving you a general critique. I already know what went down behinds the scenes so there's not much to tell you :'( . Despite how good or bad these might be there's just a lack of effort. I much rather see your collages and visualize something in my head than get one picture you found. Not acceptable for a normal runway anymore (serving Michelle "you already know you need to sow" teas), not acceptable for a ball and much less all stars. 

Carbon

Tarot Ball: You chose to do two looks and its risky because you might affect your score since it will just average to one. The first look is very simple in my eyes, I love the long hair and and crown, its inspired by a Gaultier couture piece. I like the shoulders, that's a unique detail. Not a bad look, just not impressed. The second look I love though, I live for the bone crown and just the general witchy vibe. Why is the Sasuke Cursed Seal on your hand though? A ki. Toot. 

Envy: This piece is a lot to take in. It's very creative and anime like in my eyes. Almost like a Bleach transformation. I think you hit the nail on the Envy theme. The feathers with eyes are such a nice idea. I like your cocoon, just wish you gave it a more defined shape than it just hugging your body. Maybe extreme elizabethan hips. I also think it falls into a very monstrous category, which we can still call drag, but you are going very far into it. I wish the dress hit your knee or your upper thigh and you had boots on or a heel just to bring it back to drag. I'm going in very deep here into my own idead but if you had kept the top part and did sort of this shape at the bottom article-0-051B596E000005DC-865_224x423.j I think it would have worked a lot better. Toot. 

Gladys

Monochrome: I feel like this suffers from the Kennedy Davenport syndrome. Just a lot of stuff on. You are for sure serving pageant queen with this up to the hair. There's too many flowers and petals. I find the roots at the top to be very creative and a cool idea, just wish you kept the bottom simple. You don't need to commit to a theme 100% or it comes off as costume-y and Padora Boxx like. For example the flower earrings weren't needed, the one in your hair, the petals in the gloves. Normal jewelry and a broach would have sufficed.  Boot.

Tim Burton: I have this issue with queens in general (ADR or not) and tribute runways. That's not your fault though. I hate that they try to replicate exact looks instead of letting them be inspired by the person and doing their own thing. You did do your own take on it though and I loveeee the outfit. I love the quilted cape, the see through sheer skirt and just the design of it in general. I just don't like the bat you put at the center, and dislike the makeup that emulates the character you were inspired from. I really like it in the end. Toot.  

Chanel

Horror Movie: This is fun and interesting. Fashion forward and cool. I don't like the pink in the shoe, just wish it was black. The pattern on the whole body is enough and I like the contrast with just the black pieces as clothing. I also feel like the makeup could have been better, something else. I think it steps the look down but I'm not sure it references the movie, which I have no idea about. Toot. 

Scooby Doo Ball: Really cool piece, I have some issues with some details but overall just really good. I like the cape and especially how you managed the skeleton with the jewelry on the body. Dislike the corset a lot (idk how you could substitute it but it just takes the glamour of it away) and whats going on in the **** and crotch, just wish you used the same jewelry as the rest. I also don't get how the flame hair would work and looks messy in the pic. I feel like you could have found something out there that would emulate fire well in hair instead of these weird appliances. Toot.  

Stone

Tim Burton: This is my favorite runway tonight. It's just so editorial and that's the **** I live for. I have like nothing to say besides thinking that the hair could have been more voluminous, I'm sure there's a better blue wig out there and I wish the tea cup would match a bit more with the rest (blue/yellow or something). Toot. 

Elite 4: I didn't catch this straight away but it's ****ing excellent. Again I have no complaints, just so damn cool. Not sure how safe this is and if it would be realistically allowed but who cares. Serves a stunt someone would pull in Dragula, obsessed. Toot. 

Colleen

Business Fish: A very polished head to toe look that I can't really clock anything about. There's nothing I dislike about it, it's elegant and regal. I just think you could have picked something more interesting and would have gave you more points for standing out. With all these queens you just gotta give give give. Toot. 

Sphinx: I like your take on the Egyptian queen, it's not very conventional or what you would expect. I want to praise that, but I also miss some more details that would have elevated this to the next level. Egyptians have such a rich culture and a lot of visual aspects to take from that I just think you could have done more. I also do think that going the Egyptian route for this particular runway is a bit over kill. It would have been nice to see something else. Toot. 

Wh*re

Sphinx: I find this to be a bit on the tacky side. There's nothing that makes me go "wow fashion forward". It's not bad, just kinda there. I'm also over people using these shoes, they're too iconic to be using them in a runway like this. The gold foil has been done so much, including me. I do like the eye make up though. Anyway, not bad just not good either. Boot. 

Monochromatic: I'm not gonna go into the racial aspect of this and just judge it from a fashion perspective. I like the body paint, I think you could have gone without the ugly cosplay wig and just been bald like in the picture.  I actually feel like I would like this more had it been your Sphinx look. Again hate the shoes. Taking that into consideration, I would only like this because of the body paint and that just seems lazy at this point. Where's the rest of the effort you know? Boot. 

Pixel Dark

Elizabethan: I like what you did on the runway. Not enough girls think about impactful **** like this, a reason why I had Noah as my winner in one of the fashion challenges last season. This would be a gag and I honestly love it. However from a fashion standpoint it's a bit meh. It's not the worst take on Elizabethan out there but it could have been much more fashionable than it is. Just looks like a generic old lady queen garment. Almost costume like (which has been a problem for you fashion wise). Remember to try and not make things look like they belong in a costume party. The shoes are also a no in combination with the garment. It would have been 100% better if you served this old ass queen, walked down the runway, took the whole thing off and your whole body was dripping like the one on the pic instead of just the legs. I also feel like you could have found a better head to carry. Boot. (But wish it was a Toot). 

Cultural Appropriation: I'm not mad at this at all. I just think it's incredibly basic and what you would expect from an Egyptian theme, just revealing and sexualized. The eye make up and all is just very generic. Boot. 

Tangerine said...

Melanoma

I like the clear heel, the rest is ugly. And boring. And it's a shame because the sketch you posted is real pretty, really that should've been your submission this round. Most of the magic and effect and... drag of it was lost in transition to photoshop. And the second look is... ok from the neck up, but the bottom is like real lazy. What is this paper maché dress mess? Why is the angelic art contrasted with so much blank white space? I don't get it. 

Pea

The lust entry has cute moments, especially the flower gag. I like the more submissive aspect of lust you chose, but there needed to be more drag to it. Whoever told you to simplify down is not your friend and you should never listen to them again. The Ursula look, while stretching the definition of monochromatic, is just a lot of details I don't like on a look, from the ugly ruffle ending to the random blue part ruining the shape and the headpiece is just not sightly.

Carbon

I LOVE the death look and have very little negative to say bout it, but WHY did you include two looks for this part. Now I can't give you a 10 cus that other looks is not the t. It looks boring, basic and actually awkward. Death on the other hand has such a cute little idea pulled off so well. Simple but fierce. Anyway I love this envy look, and I'm so glad there was no reveal or something. It's ugly in the best, most compelling way and I never would've thought of that for envy. This is the Carbon I want to see more of.

Gladys

The dress is pretty but a floral themed pageant gown is nothing new, nothing revolutionary and nothing to gag over. I like the drawn back hair, the way you only decorated the hip area of the dress and the idea of the branches. Details are good as always but the overall concept needs to be bigger. Patchwork capes were ugly when Shea did them and while you work it better than she did, it's not a great centerpiece in general I'm afraid, and the rest of the look suffers from it. Listen, it's nothing bad or even awful, but on All Stars I want more.

Chanel

I ****ing hate neon dayglo type looks but I grudgingly concede that this is... an ok look. It's solid. It even looks almost bearable with that ugly rainbow hidden underneath the black, armor-like costume. I wouldn't tip you but I wouldn't leave either. As for the other look, is it wrong to say I preferred what you did in Season 1? It looks fine, and I like the jewel limbs and shoes but I hate the corset. Looks dirty and used, I wouldn't be caught dead in it. 

Buddy

Why these look so alike? From the clown makeup to the same high boots to a similar top piece with attention called to the shoulders. Both are perfectly competent and acceptable, but I'm not liking the crossovers. Anyway, my favourite piece between the two is the outfit for your mad hatter, but I hate the blue hair.

Colleen

Ok Carmen Sandiego. I like the first look but it doesn't gag me. '80s business fish is a look that is pretty hard to **** up, and you made something I like but nothing that really makes me want to follow you. I like the turtleneck. I'm sure the second look would be great as you've described it, but the drawing looks more copper than gold. The fabric at your waist could've been a deeper blue too, I think it would be prettier. Good overall though. I might've liked a turtleneck here too.

Wh*re

That was a sphynx look? I mean, I like the dress by itself but the ugly gaga shoes and Taylor Dayne wig aren't helping it. The snake motif is kind of cute I suppose. And again with the shoes for the next look, already off on a bad foot with me. Does it fit the theme? Sure. Is it gagworthy? Certainly not. Trying to make such a hollow and dark look "cute" just makes it feel a bit incongruous and awkward with the wig and sucker. It could be done but it feels like you decided to do it last minute via the simplest method you could think of. Should've made it more edgy I feel.

Pixel

The blood was overkill on the first look, it was already red as **** and you didn't need your skin to match it. This was Elizabethan right? Not monochromatic? And those heels are disgusting! Really I think you missed an opportunity to drag up this look a bit. Bejewel that scythe, hold the head of one of your competitors rather than that shake-and-go flat pedestrian lady. That Egyptian look reads slutty girl Halloween costume option for under $40, pretty sure I scrolled past it a couple times when I was shopping for my own. The elements are all really basic interpretations, poor Cleo being reduced to that ugly hair.

Poor show all around.

BdXIwRN.gif

Citrus said...

Melanoma

I think your cloud look suffers from its simplicity, even if it would be gorgeous in real life. I still socred it well, because I like the concept and that hair is beautiful and the detail is breathtaking. Also a big fan of the makeup. Your second look is where I have some trouble seeing it in practice, because it just looks utterly shapeless. A beautiful bolt of wallpaper wrapped around your model. Pay more attention to your limitations; figure out a way to convey your ideas so that it is clearly presented to the judges without the text.

Pea

No point in me raking you over the coals more than necessary. I’m assuming something came up in real life. Hope this isn’t the last we see of you.

Carb

I hate that you did two looks, because it made it difficult to score. IT also hurt you because your death look was leagues ahead of your judgment one. I averaged my scores for the two. Love the skeletal adornments on the death piece, and the judgment one is cute enough even if it’s just a Kim Chi bathrobe. Your envy look on the other hand was gorgeous. I do wish you had given us hands because I can’t quite tell where yours would be? Like are the triangular arm things your sleeves? Regardless, I love the monstrosity of this.

Gladys

Your monochrome look is absolutely stunning, I love the variance of shades and the gradient on the gloves. I don’t have any critiques here aside from showing a shoe, but I see how that’s not super feasible or necessary given we wouldn’t see the shoe anyway. Your Sally look is a little….rough. I don’t know what’s going on with the cape.

Chanel

I love that you *did* the horror movie runway, but I don’t think it was executed in the best way. It fits the film in the shape and color, but I think the variation of the pattern is a little too much. I also wish you had an eyeball drooping out tbh, a kii. Your Lord Infernicus look is a slay, though I don’t know that the skull makeup is needed. The hairpiece and jewelry slays, though.

Stone

Absolutely love the Mad Hatter makeup, and the blue hair is a shoot of a wig. I do think that the bloodied lips is a bit too much, and it certainly wouldn’t stick out against that busy of a face of makeup regardless. The fire look is killer because it reminds me of something from Dragula. It does look way too same-y next to the other look though, try to bring more variety in the future.

Colleen

Your business look is sleek, elegant, and very pretty. However, what a BORING category to redo. Lord. Perfectly executed but very uninspired, even with the irregular sunglasses. Your sphinx look is definitely the best of those submitted this week, but the original challenge was bald beauties, not Egyptian costume.

Wh&re

Your sphinx look is more just a golden reptilian theme, and we had three of those this round I’m afraid. It comes across as rather unoriginal, even though the golds you chose do pair well together. I like your monochrome look idea, but I don’t think it was in your best interest to redo one of your worst received looks using the same concept of body paint. It’s cute for sure though.

Pixel Dark

I love a stunt, and the blood is definitely a stunt! It’s a bit cosplay-ish, serving Ohayocon. Loved it though. Your Egyptian runway is trash because A) It wasn’t an Egyptian runway, B) that look has 100% already been done and C) it’s hideously basic. I think it would help you to embrace the higher concept looks like you did with the Bloody Mary one.

@EJQL8 @Rhisiart @Buddy! @Kylie Jenner @Hug @CHANEL™ @keshaspearsxo @Witch Privilege @Vulnicura @talent @feelslikeadream @Aciid @Subomie @True Skarlet @Moonchild @Lémur @PinkBox @mxtthewdelrey 

@Alena @Stan @Tsareena @Slut @SitarHero @Losing my ground @thecptz @Fruity

The mixed reviews. :deadbanana2:

I see a mystery queen coming into the fray in the foreseeable future

ezgif-5-051bed6d04.gif

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, CHANEL™ said:

@feelslikeadream what's the truth? Why are you trying to give Gladys an aneurysm?

The silhouette is simplistic. The flower detailing is a bit much :cm:

5 minutes ago, Citrus said:

My favorite part of this week's reviews is the judge chat being full of them dragging one another's taste

Expose it, we want to be entertained

ezgif-5-051bed6d04.gif

2 minutes ago, PinkBox said:

Expose it, we want to be entertained

ezgif-5-051bed6d04.gif

Only people with multiple challenge wins allowed in that chat

ezgif-5-051bed6d04.gif

• ATRL Moderator

I'm reading Sister Carrie right now and it's a slay.

Can't wait til the challenge when you all have to rewrite the novel to be about Carrie Messiah's rise to the top of ATRL's Drag Race.

dZdLgS3.jpg

1 minute ago, Citrus said:

Only people with multiple challenge wins allowed in that chat

ezgif-5-051bed6d04.gif

Ageism

ezgif-5-051bed6d04.gif

f0bEAUL.png

Episode 2 - Past but not Least Ball

Results

2014-04-22_11_58_41.gif

This week, you girls were asked redo and outdo some of this game's most iconic looks. Some of you sewed up the competition, but some of your work fell to pieces. Would the following girls please step forward:

Pea Enculo (@keshaspearsxo)

Wh0re Yentl (@EJQL8)

Pixel Dark (@Hug) 

You three are all...

Spoiler

LOW.

In a short while, you will find out which two of you will be lipsyncing.

giphy.gifFh6oMgh.gif

Melanoma (@talent), Gladys (@Rhisiart), and Stone (@Buddy!), you are all SAFE. You three may leave the stage.

1 minute ago, feelslikeadream said:

I'm reading Sister Carrie right now and it's a slay.

Can't wait til the challenge when you all have to rewrite the novel to be about Carrie Messiah's rise to the top of ATRL's Drag Race.

dZdLgS3.jpg

this made me hit my roommate and call him a ******

Just now, Aciid said:

Stone was robbed! but she also didn't pay attention

At least i'm safe sgjhk

Very happy to be safe this week. Overall, my head is kind of overloading trying to take everything in. In summation, it looks like my ideas aren't creative enough and small in scale, and then I'm doing too much with too little. :emofish:

Thank you to the judges. This is stressful, but I continue to work and push myself, and eventually come up with something that everyone will like.

2 minutes ago, PinkBox said:

And Stone was kinda robbed but werk

Stone can't read so I dropped her one rank. Still was high for me tho!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.