Two eighth-grade students in Canada were humiliated after an adult chaperone fooled them into eating moose feces during a school trip — and now the school’s principal has been removed in the fallout from the dirty prank.
Principal Bob Kovachick is on leave and will not return to the Walter Whyte School in Manitoba in the fall after he allegedly watched the May 25 incident unfold and did nothing to stop it, the Winnipeg Free Press reported Friday.
Schools Superintendent Scott Kwasnitza described the antics as an “ill-conceived practical joke,” and that it was a “grievous error and the person who initiated it has expressed deep regret and remorse,” the Toronto Star said earlier this month.
Parent Karen Eyolfson said her 13-year-old son, who attended the two-day canoe trip, was told the moose droppings were chocolate-covered almonds. Kovachick stood by while the other students laughed, according to reports.
The adult chaperone behind the trick wasn’t identified.
“How can we trust that our kids are going to be in a safe, respectful environment that is conducive to learning?” Eyolfson said, according to the Toronto Star.
A second student, a 14-year-old identified only by her first name, said she was also duped into chewing on the “almonds.”
“I put it in my mouth and I took a bite out of it,” Brook told CBC News on Friday. “And then everyone laughed. Everyone laughed at me and made fun of me. So I went up to my tent and started crying.”
Brook said a school staff member told her not to worry about the side effects because moose eat grass.
“She … said it would help me because it was nutritious,” Brook added.
The girl described to CBC News that she went to the lake to brush the excrement out of her mouth.
“It got stuck in (my braces),” she said.
It wasn’t immediately clear if the principal would be placed at another public school in the next school year, according to reports.
“After something so unacceptable, he should be gone,” Brook told CBC News. “He deserves it.”
Vince Crichton, a moose expert at Manitoba Conservation, told the Toronto Star that swallowing animal feces is a bad idea.
“Never, never ever would I think about putting them in my mouth,” Chrichton said, adding that the droppings can harbor parasites and bacteria.